Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 year old yellow lab is panting really hard almost

My 14 year old...

My 14 year old yellow lab is panting really hard almost constantly for a few weeks now. The only times she really doesn’t pant hard is when she is lying down and sleeping. She still is excited to go for a daily run, bark at the neighbors dog, play, and has a healthy appetite. I’m just not sure what’s going on. She does have some cyst on her body...one in particular that was in her front elbow. It was there for about 3 years and never seemed to bother her. Then about 2 months ago it started to get larger and was bothering her. She kept licking it and I saw there was a white strip sticking out the center. I tugged at it and pulled out a core of skin or something... the cyst has almost flattened completely out now... I think she has other cyst inside her body. The other thing is that when she goes out and barks and the neighbors dogs.. which has only been going on for about 6 months. and runs around the cinder block size hole in the block fence for irrigation.. she has worn the lawn off and so it’s just a big dust bowl.. I’ve thought maybe she’s has valley fever or something..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the lab's name?

Millie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie?

I can’t think of anything else at the moment.. I’ve tried to think of what has been different in her life the past 6 months.. I thought maybe anxiety.., my sister that I take care went to stay with another family member so she was home alone for periods of 5-7 hours alone... so that was a change for her.. it was an adjustment for her when my sister came to lunch be with me.. she had dementia and Parkinson’s..

4/30/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Thanks

I understand you have concerns about your pet Millie's panting episodes, especially during sleep and want some ideas of what this could be. My first thought here is a possible underlying heart or lung condition. Unfortunately heart disease can cause backup of fluid in the lungs and subsequent panting, especially at night when the body is still. This is my first suspicion.

A primary lung disease could also be the cause. In particular lung cancer. Unfortunately this is high on the list due to your pets age and also her breed.

An x-ray can effectively diagnose the underlying problem for sure and give you your answer here. It is better if she did have an underlying heart condition, because often-times we can manage these with medications to help drain the fluid overload and help the heart pump better. I woudl schedule an appt with your vet right away.

- Dr. H

Came to live with me 2 years ago.. not to lunch! Ha ha

The cysts don't really have anything to do with what is going on in her chest cavity.

-Dr. H

She doesn’t pant during sleep
That’s the time she doesn’t pant

Oh I see. Sorry I read this too fast.

Okay I’ll make an appt thanks

Is her breathing elevated while asleep?

If you are unsure, I would recommend counting her breathes per minute. Anything above 30 breaths per minute indicates a likely underlying heart condition.

I haven’t done it while sleeping but awake it is about 44

Hmm. Poor girl. Sounds like a primary lung disease problem if her respirations are not elevated during sleep. Also has she been on heartworm prevention consistently (once a month pill that you give or an injection that your vet gives once every 6 months?

- DR. H

No.. she has not..
Is it too late to start that? Actually resting it’s about 44 for awake it’s higher
I’ll make an appt..tomorrow. Either way heart/respiratory can they help her?

Hmm. That is suspicious of heart disease. Heartworm disease is also on the list if she hasn't been on prevention. Heartworm disease is so easily contracted. It take jsut one infected mosquito bite. It is too late to start prevention if she is already infected. The vet can do a simple blood snap test to check to see if she has heartworm disease.

Heart disease and heartworm disease can also cause bloating of the belly in many cases.

- Dr. H

I’ve thought she seemed a bit bloated.. but not always.

It dpeneds on the progression of the disorder. Heartworm disease that is not end stage can be treated for.

Lung disease can include many different etiologies (causes). You have to do some testing to determine if this is treatable or not. Sorry I wish I had more info, but there are too many possibilities when it comes to lung disease (cancer, fungal, infection, bronchitis, etc). I am leaning more towards heart disease. If it is early stage heart disease then as I said before many cases can be managed with medication. It isn't something that can be cured however.

-Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Okay thanks..She’s had some heartworm medication but not consistently I will set an appointment and get her checked out. Thank you

You are most welcome for the advice! I hope that Millie is able to manage her condition soon! Best of luck to you! Take care.

* Please don't forget to leave me a rating before you leave today. This is the only way that I am credited with assisting you and your pet today. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and have a good luck with your pets care moving forward! *

- Dr. H

Thank you..

You are very welcome. Best of luck!

-ending session

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet