Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a large pit, lab mix 100lbs - she will not lay down -

I have a large...

I have a large pit, lab mix 100lbs - she will not lay down - she is whining - last time this happened I took her to the vet - he took X-rays etc - and decided she just needed her anal glands excersized. The was about 1-2 years ago. Today she has the same issue - and I took her in Friday for the gland expression.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

She is about 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Sheba

I paid - where is my help??????
4/29/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Sheba. What happened after you took her in to have her glands expressed; did it not help this time?

Thanks rebecca

I just came online and saw your question; sorry you had to wait.

What is your question about her?

This site keeps prompting me for more $$ and redirecting me to PayPal. Anyhow my question - what can I do to ease her pain. She has her gland excersized probably once every month or two -they are always full.
I've already paid 19.00 -and it wants 28.00 more - and so far I'm not convinced this site is helpful.

I am sorry, I am just here to answer questions. Those prompts come from the website; I don't see them. I will be happy to answer what questions you have.

Nothing different this time from the anal gland excerise on friday - yesterday she was fine. She is a very big and awkward dog - I think she just strained a joint or something.

One prompt may to to offer you a phone call, which I would not be able to do. I can only answer questions here.

What is she doing that makes you concerned. Is she limping? Not willing to get up? Painful?

How old is she?

Sorry, I see she is 3. That is young for things like arthritis.

If she is lethargic, I might want to check for a fever; can you take her temperature? Normal rectal temp is 101.5

she is 3 years old.It started this morning when she jumped on the bed - she was fine -then decided to stand over me for pets - and when she backed up to lay down - she started whining. and now she will not sit down and is panting
I can try to take her temp - might take a few minutes - is that OK? She didn't feel any different from my other dog that is the same age and size

Panting is a sign of pain. If it is not her anal glands, this might be muscle or joint pain, a sprain or an injury.

The most effective and safe pain medications are by prescription, from your veterinarian. You can try aspirin, if she is eating normally. A 100 pound dog can take 1 regular aspirin (325 mg) up to twice daily, with food. No Advil, or other over the counter pain reliever but aspirin.

I can wait while you take her temperature.

Thanks - I've given her 3 baby aspirin about 2 hours ago and 3 more in cheese about 1 hour ago. I'll take her temp.

Let me know what you find. If you gave her aspirin already, that may have reduced a fever if she had one.

she is at 102.0

That is slightly over normal, but if she got aspirin already it is possible it was higher. Is she eating?

not as enthusiastic as before - but she is eating.

If you had taken her temp before the aspirin, she may have had a fever. This could be pain, infection, illness, injury, many things. You can continue 4 to 5 baby aspirin, with food (stop if she stops eating or vomits) and see how she does, or have her examined to try to find where the problem is.

Ok - I called our vet and will wait a response. She seemed perfectly fine the morning prior to straining herself trying to lay down in an awkward place. It was the laying down that something hurt her and led to this - but she does have a temp - perhaps associated with the gland expression. Is it ok to just get the expression done periodically for the rest of her life - or should we have something more permanently done? I've felt that surgery or something would be worse then simply having them expressed.
Yeah - she is laying down in her bed - we will keep up the aspirin and let her rest.
I ment Yay!

It is perfectly fine to have her glands regularly expressed if they give her discomfort. I would not consider surgery unless there is a tumor in one of the glands.

Good she seems more comfortable.

Please let me know how she is doing, if this was helpful and if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks Rebecca - I've given you 5 stars.

Thanks for the great rating!!