Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My small dog ripped one of his stitches. It was to remove…

My small dog ripped...

My small dog ripped one of his stitches. It was to remove one of his testicles that hadn't dropped. We have him with an e-collar and he still managed to get to the wound. It's redish and you can see a little gap where he ripped the suture. He is taking antibiotics and is doing well. His stitches are supposed to come off in 5 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name?

Spanky.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spanky?

He has been returning to normal little by little.

4/28/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Spanky. How big is the gap that you see? Can you post a picture of it?

If it is just one stitch, it should be OK. You could put a little Neosporin on the gap.

Thanks for the picture. This will heal, and the Neosporin may help. Try to keep him away from licking or biting at it. If the collar did not work, try putting a T shirt on him backwards, over his hind legs, and tied to his collar, to cover it.

Ok. We tried a diaper and he rips it off.

A backward T shirt may be better. Get one that is the right size, put his back legs in the arms, and either tie the T shirt in a knot or attach it to his collar so it stays on.

OK. We'll do that. Thank you for the advise. The Neurosprin should prevent any infection right?

Yes it should help prevent infection, and by decreasing the amount of bacteria on the open area, should help it heal faster.

You are welcome; please let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Will do. Thank you kindly.

Thanks for the great rating.