Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Aussie keeps chewing paws and legs. Constantly licking and…

Aussie keeps chewing paws...

Aussie keeps chewing paws and legs. Constantly licking and chewing. Chews and licks her belly hair as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Prim Rose 2 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Prim Rose

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is real skiddish. If something drops on the floor she gets scared and runs

4/28/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing these signs?

Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

Is she worse at any particular time of year?

What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

We feed her Beneful. The chewing is year round but really a lot over the past month. She is treated with Advantage II. Last treatment was 2 weeks ago. The redness is not bad on the joints right now but can get inflamed. No bleeding, scaling.
719FFAF2-6B4C-4147-9A44...jpeg719FFA...jpeg5EAB3F24-003A-461D-9C63...jpeg5EAB3F...jpeg585C1F83-88F3-4C09-84A2...jpeg585C1F...jpeg05360C5E-41D2-410B-A33D...jpeg05360C...jpeg5715A5D4-0741-43DD-84C6...jpeg5715A5...jpeg

Hello again,

Now in Prim Rose's situation, we have 2 concerns. First, we can see them chew/lick this area with stress (which is a concern if she is skittish) or we can see this secondary to allergies. I would just note that given how her legs appear their, bacterial, fungal and mite issues are less likely for her.

With this all in mind, if she is very irritated with this, then we'd want to consider having her see her local vet to confirm allergies with a view to using anti-inflammatory/immune modulating treatment (ie steroids, Apoquel, Atopica, Cytopoint, etc). And if Prim Rose is quite skittish, Cytopoint may be ideal as its a 4-8wk injectable treatment. In the meantime though, we can try some home care. To do so, we can try to counter any underlying allergy, with an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

For the legs themselves, we need to block her access to them to just let the skin settle. So, an ecollar or we can try socks over these. If any of the skin looks raw, we can also plan to clean this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. And if she is quite stressed, we can also try to address that with a supportive option (ie Adaptil collar, Kalmaid, Zylkene, etc) to just see if we can help her settle and make sure this isn't a nervous reaction from her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

I aim to provide best care for your pets just as I do for my own patients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear. :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
She's doing better. Thank you

Thank you for the update,

That is great hear. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.