Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

You have been helping me so much with my 13 1/2 yr old

Hi - you have been...
Hi - you have been helping me so much with my 13 1/2 yr old Akita. This morning it was apparent she had a serious UTI so I gave her 200mg docxycycline which I had on hand. When I gave her the docxycycline- I gave her daily dose of meloxicam at the same time. She has had a lot of gas all day since then and also a small amount of diarrhea. She also needs to be given gabipentim tonight. I'm afraid to give her the 2nd dose of doxycycline tonight as I do not want the gas or diarrhea to continue but I am worried about her not having an antibiotic tonight. Do you think it's ok to give her doxycycline tonight?
4/28/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I would not advise repeating the doxy, it really is not very effective against a urinary tract infection and not even in a top five choice for use for this since it is not lost through the kidneys but through the liver and intestinal tract so I would stop the doxy and until you can get to your veterinarian increase water intake by adding water to meals and flavoring water to entice water intake

You can purchase cranberry chews for her to reduce urine pH and also has been found to reduce attachment of bacteria to the bladder wall available at your local pet store as well as adding white rice to the meals to bulk up the stool to help with the diarrhea

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Is she spayed? I don't remember

Her Vet is flung urinalysis and gave simplicef but because I have her the doxy this morning said to give simplicef tomorrow. She is almost 14. I am worried to not give antiobiotic tonight.
she is spayed. But her urine has been very pungent and she is prone to UTI.

Missing one dose will not be a concern and if the doxy is upsetting her stomach it is best to not administer. Again this is not an antibiotic I use in urinary tract infections since <5% reaches the bladder, it really would not be a concern not giving it tonight as far as progression

Ok - is this kind of discharge common for UTI?

It is a fairy thick discharge for a bladder infection but possible for a urethral or vaginal infection

Because she is essentially lame - she stays in a room that is carpeted and because she is incontinent she is on dirty carpeting. We wet vacuum the carpeting daily but cannot get it totally clean. Other than being lame and getting these UTIs she is extremely healthy for almost 14 and being a big 80+ lb Akita. So a vaginal infection would not surprise me. So you think it is ok to wait until tomorrow to give her a simplecef?

Yes I feel very strongly this would be the best course of action for her

Ok - does the simplicef cause stomach upset? Is it ok to give with her meloxicam?

Typically I try to give first dosages at least 1-2 hours apart to ensure it isn't upsetting her stomach

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Ok I have one final question. Thank you for your patience. She just urinated and her urine was quite "sticky" is this normal for an UTI?

It can be, it is more common with diabetes though so a urinalysis is warranted to rule this out even though you are not describing typical signs of diabetes

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Ok - yes we got a full urinalysis with also a creative protein ratio test and sensitivity culture so hopefully that will give us the info we need. Thank you so much.
Hi Dr. Altman - I just have one more question is simplicef a good choice for UTI? From all I have read it seems like clavamox would be better. Simplicef is for skin infections from what I have read.

Simplicef is in my top three for UTI's :)

Thank you. She has only had one dose of simplicef this morning. Today she had had bloody urine all day. Other than that she is ok- alert and walking. Should I be concerned?

Without a urine culture we cannot be sure this is the right antibiotic to treat her but it will take 2-5 days before you notice a difference with the antibiotic

Hopefully the urine culture will be back soon. So I will see if she is better tomorrow. She is 13 1/2 - I'm just hoping this doesn't take a serious toll on her.

It sounds like she is holding steady which is great!

Thank you so much!

You are very welcome, have a good evening

Hi Dr Altman - you have been helping me with my 13 1/2 yr old Akita with an UTI. The last 3 days she has urinated excessively and had blood in urine. Today this morning was her 3rd dose of cefpodoxime. She urinated last night at 7pm but has not urinated yet today. She has eaten, walked around and had a bowel movement but no urine . It's now almost 18 hrs sine she last urinated. What should I do?

I would contact your vet to palpate her bladder and take an x-ray to rule out a stone at this point. I am not online for another few hours so it will be a bit before I can respond again.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman