Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had infection & she had discharge coming from anus &

My dog had infection...

My dog had infection & she had white discharge coming from anus & she still has some but theres more & its brown & more wstery

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your dog's name and age?

Lilly & shes 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilly?

Shes had some fever & she hasnt wonted to move around much.Is she gonna be ok

4/27/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Lilly. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

To start with, I want to let you know that you're correct to be worried. I'll do my best to help you get the information you need to know what to do to try to help Lilly be okay.

Can you please tell me:

• When did this start?
  • What medications/treatments have you tried already?
  • Is she spayed?
  • Has she ever had puppies?
  • Are you 100% certain this is coming from her anus and not her vagina?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Just type in what you want to say, then click REPLY or SEND.

It started last week. Took her to vet & he ssaid she had infection . He gave her zydaclin 2cc twice a day & novox 25mg 2x day she was getting better & today she got sick & had white discharge coming from anus & now its more watery & brown

Thank you for your quick reply. Typing in more below...

Please tell me if she is spayed, also...

No she hasnt & she has had puppies

I want to start by repeating how sorry I am that Lilly is sick like this and isn't getting better. With that in mind, I also feel compelled to tell you that her case is very unusual. It would be extraordinarily rare for a dog to have a type of infection that would cause a discharge like this from the anus.

Your vet's choices of treatments also don't make much sense to me. Zydaclin is not a medication that's commonly used in dogs, and Novox isn't indicated for this type of problem and can actually make it worse.

I know I can't judge accurately from a distance, and the vet who was able to see and examine Lilly is the only one who can make a diagnosis, but I don't think she's been accurately diagnosed or adequately treated.

I was wondering if she hadn't been spayed, because everything you've described sounds typical for a disease called PYOMETRA. Pyometra would cause this type of discharge from the vagina.

It's also a medical emergency and -- if Lilly has a pyometra -- emergency surgery is the best way to treat this.

In order to know if a dog has a pyometra, the vet usually does:

• an examination of the discharge under the microscope
  • basic blood tests
  • an x-ray of the abdomen

If the dog does indeed have a pyometra, the infected uterus needs to be surgically removed as quickly as possible.

You can read more about pyometra by clicking this link:

https://www.vin.com/veterinarypartner/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951481

Because of this, and because Lilly hasn't gotten better on the first treatment you tried, the best thing you can do for her is to get her back to the vet as quickly as possible.

I'm so sorry I don't have happier news for you. I know you want her to get better. Because a pyometra, if left untreated, is fatal, it's important to get her to a vet as quickly as possible so she can get the treatment she needs. If it's identified early enough and surgery is performed, she can recover 100%.

Does this help to answer your question for now?

thank you so much

You're welcome. I'm so glad I can help. I hope she feels better soon, and I'm sorry the first treatment you tried didn't work.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you tonight.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

Just checking in to ask how things are going for Lilly. I've been worried and am hoping she will be able to see a (hopefully more helpful) vet today.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo