Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 12 year old lab is having difficulty walking and seems a

My 12 year old lab is having difficulty walking and seems a little disoriented. Her back legs seem to not want to function. She has a history of seizures due to epilepsy; however, this is more of she just is losing her footing.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the lab's name?
Customer: Gabby.. Yes seizures are. I just know it isn't one.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gabby?
Customer: No

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Gabby.

Losing her footing could be a sign of a problem in her spine, such as an inflamed disc or pinched nerve. It can also be a sign of getting into something such as trash, pills, etc.

If you look at her eyes, are her pupils dilated? Are her eyes twitching?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Her head is twitching. Dialation yes but I forgot to mention our vet has her on tramadol for pain and she takes meds for epilepsy

If her head is twitching, this could be related to the seizures.

How long has she been on seizure medication, and what medication is it?

Do you know why she has seizures?

Was she diagnosed with epilepsy at an early age?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she was around a year old

It may be that her seizures are not well controlled now; facial/head twitches can be signs of mini or partial seizures.

She may have some new neurologic problem such as an inflamed disc in her spine.

No chance of her getting into anything she shouldn't? Marijuana, trash, etc.?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no, she is constantly with one of us with an eye on her.. Trash is out of her reach and our meds are kept out safely and we do not have marijuana in our home.

Then this is probably something affecting her neurologic system. It could be related to her epilepsy, or it could be a new neurologic problem. I would need to examine her to tell you more.

Is she eating normally?

Sorry to ask about the marijuana, but now that is is legal in many states, we are seeing a lot of it in dogs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has less interested in food but will eat eventually. Not sure if its because she has no appetite or the fact it is more difficult for her to stand at her bowl.I understand about asking about marijuana..you have to ask for sure.

If she is less interested in food, I am even more concerned. I hope you can get her checked out by your veterinarian soon. Until then, keep her confined and quiet. Try feeding her with her dog dish elevated and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your insight. I appreciate all of your words.

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing. Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?