Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog was outside and as he was coming back, his back leg…

Our dog was outside...

Our dog was outside and as he was coming back, his back leg hit the our gate. he wasn't putting any weight on it at all afterwards, and now he's *barely* putting weight on it after about 4 hours and icing it for 20 minutes. I'm wondering if it's a tear or just a bone bruise?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Oz and he's 7 and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oz?

He at a TTA on his other leg 6 months ago (fully healed) - not the one he just injured nothing wrong with this leg previously, however

the leg is now a bit more swollen than it was right after the incident.
also, his appetite hasn't changed- he got up to eat and he's showing no increased aggression, lets us touch his leg, and does not have any sort of cuts on his paws. he's limping quite badly and on it at the moment.
4/20/2018
Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Hi this is Dr Hill and I can help you with Oz. When did it happen?
this happened approximately around 10:00 AM this morning- almost 5 hours ago
hello?
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

I still need assistance, yes please!

Has the swelling continued to increase?

Has the limping imoroved any?

Is there any obvious dislocation?

What part of his leg hit the gate?

the swelling increased but now stopped.
He's lightly weight bearing, but then stops weight bearing after using it and then goes back to it.
He has a double coat so I can check for discoloration and get back to you on that part. he's not aggressive when we touch his leg or try to rotation exercises with him.
his knee :/I'll check on the discoloration now
there doesn't seem to be any discoloration at all, and the swelling as decreased with some ice on and off

It doesn't sound like it is fractured or that that type of injury would produce a tear to any of the soft tissue ligaments in the area of the knee, but if the gate hit the kneecap and dislodged it, it is possible it could have caused a tear or sprain to the patellar ligament, even if the kneecap popped back into place after. A bruised bone can be painful and can lead to swelling but there no way to differentiate a bruised bone from a possible non-displaced fracture of the bone without an x-ray.

I would continue with the intermittent icing and continued rest of the leg and see if it improves over the next 24 hours. If not improving, I would have him evaluated by your veterinarian and have an x-ray taken.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
thank you so much!

You are most welcome. Good luck with him.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

Hi there...turns out oz had a torn ACL and miniscus. We are about 3 weeks out of surgery and he has suddenly taken interest in chewing on his stitches. We immediately put the cone on hum, disinfected with an antiseptic wipe from our emergency kit and put neosporin. I just want to make sure he hasnt chewed it SO badly we need to take him in to the hospital, am i able to send you a picture for your evaluation?