Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Diareaa with mucus. Our 10 year old female golden Doodle…

Diareaa with mucus Veterinarian's...

Diareaa with mucus

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Our 10 year old female golden Doodle generally in very good health and very active. For the last several weeks she has had very loose stools and recently we see mucus in the stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sophie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?

She has been given metadoxil (SP??) two weeks ago which made things better and we have been feeding her chicken and rice in the place of normal dog food. This makes things better but stool still runny and now with mucus

4/20/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr. Z. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Sophie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Are you sure you are not referring to the drug called metronidazole?

Has your vet performed any testing of the stool or any bloodwork?

Has she been dewormed recently?

That's the medicine, and No and No to you last questions. We're going away This weekend for 3 days and just decided to switch from our kennel for our absence to our vet's so they can check Sophie out.
Thanks for you help and we'll get back if this doesn't work.

What it sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and would explain why she seemed better and then you later noted the mucus. The signs with this condition can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well in some cases. There can be a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. If it continues, your veterinarian will want to know the history of his signs and will need to perform a physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned. They may perhaps suggest a change in diet or medications. Make sure they also perform a rectal exam to evaluate her anal glands. A stool sample analysis is a very important part of getting to the bottom of this as intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes.

I am not sure why metadoxil would have been prescribed as it is not a drug that is even used in veterinary medicine. If she is not improving. the drug called metronidazole is ofter prescribed to treat colitis in dogs. Here is link with more information about colitis in dogs.

LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Thank you for your attention. As I mentioned previously the drug was/is metronidazole- I was mistaken.
Your followup is appreciated.