Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog undergoing dental tooth cleaning and vet just called…

Dog undergoing dental tooth...

Dog undergoing dental tooth cleaning and vet just called said his canine extraction keeps bleeding. they had to put him under again to stop the bleeding! canine tooth

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He is 11 year old doxie male otherwise healthy

4/20/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear the extraction site keeps bleeding! Did they check a complete blood count (CBC) prior to putting him under anesthesia?

They did blood work before procedure. Assume all was good as they proceeded
What could cause this?

He may have a clotting disorder. Do you know if they were able to finally stop the bleeding or is he still bleeding?

I recommend that they run a coagulation panel to see if his body is able to form clots properly.

They have not yet called me back. He was bleeding when they called and they were going to go back in there to see what the deal is. Could an extraction cause some kind of artery to break?
Well if he cannot clot what do they do?

Have they tried putting some epinephrine on that area? If the bleeding doesn't stop, I recommend that she receive some Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP). I would ask them about that.

They put anti coagulation powder and packed it. I will ask about the FFP. they just said it seems to be stopping a bit so we shall see if not they wil take him to emergency vet. All blood work was good. Hematocrit just a bit I think he said due to no water for 12 hours. Glucose up a bit due to stress. He was nervous of course going to vet.

Ok, hopefully the bleeding stops with the clotting factor. Stress probably doesn't have anything to do with this. Do you have any rat poison he may have gotten into? They can cause uncontrolled bleeding that needs treatment with vitamin K.

Funny the vet asked the same thing. He is not at the emergency vet i asked them about FFP they are going to do that and I think they said a possible other kind of blood cell infusion, they are trying to make sure he is stable and stop the bleeding. Not sure yet if it is a clotting factor. They just called and said they put cold saline in that cavity as they feel alot of the bleeding was due to the decayed tooth impacting nasal cavities and nose is full of vessels, etc. They said that seems to have slowed the bleeding. They may still have to give him blood transfusion as he is down to 30% blood. 50% is normal.
Sorry I meant to say he IS at the ER vet

Glad he is at the ER. Hopefully they will have some answers and can stop the bleeding.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian