Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 year old dog is having a bad reaction to

My 14 year old...

My 14 year old dog is having a bad reaction to metronidazole. He keeps falling over. Almost seems like he's going blind. He's thrown up twice. Called his vet earlier and she said to stop the metronidazole. He's on prednisone and I know you aren't supposed to miss a dose, but I don't know if I'm supposed to give it to him while having this reaction to the metronidazole. He's supposed to get it at 3am and his vet doesn't open until 8.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Payton

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Payton?

He had Cerenia for the vomiting about 3 hours ago

4/20/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. thank you for using JustAnswer. I would still try to give the Prednisone later this evening because it would be better for him to have it regardless of him having this reaction or not. If he vomits the prednisone, I would hold off on trying to give it again and wait until the morning to call your vet back for what she wants you to do. She'll probably want you to give a bland diet and try to medicate again in the morning, but I would verify at that point.

He also seems like he has a rapid heartbeat and is drooling. I know that these are also side effects from the metronidazole reaction. I don't know if that would make a difference.

It doesn't change what I would do, but it does make me more concerned that he might vomit the prednisone because of the drooling. I would wait until when he is due for the medication and give it as directed for now. If he vomits, I would then get in contact with the vet in the morning.

I know that the rapid heartbeat and drooling are bad side effects from the metronidazole. Is there a point where I should take him to an emergency vet?

I think if he vomits tonight, I would lean towards taking him in to the emergency vet so they can check him out. If nothing else, they might be able to give him an injection to help with the drooling to help mitigate his symptoms.

How long might it take for these symptoms to start to get better? His last dose of metronidazole was 33 hours ago. He didn't start having any symptoms until about 3 hours after that dose.

I see, I would expect the symptoms to have gotten better by now to be honest with you. There might be more to this that needs to be delved into. If you can take him to the emergency vet for bloodwork and an xray tonight, I think I would lean that way in this case. I wouldn't expect him to still have symptoms this long after his last dose.

He's had diarrhea for several days and hasn't been eating regularly. Could not having much food in his stomach possibly cause him to have symptoms for a longer period of time?
Potentially, but usually not this long in my experience.
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian