Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Just read all you said about dog eating a shoe. Ditto with

Just read all you said about dog eating a shoe. Ditto with mine only tow of them. Should I feed him a different diet till sure there is no blockage. Thanks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Just like a previous post, my dog ate two slippers, not the soles but everything else. is there a special diet I should feed him until not sure there is blockage.
JA: The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Max, and about 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: Not that has anything to do with this.
Hello. I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog and the slippers. I'm so sorry this has happened, but glad you're looking for the information you need. First of all, no... It's not necessary to feed a different diet while you wait to see if there are signs of obstruction. It's best to feed the regular diet.
Secondly, how big a dog is Max? Bigger dogs are better at passing stuff. Thirdly, how long ago did he consume this slipper material? Is it too late to consider making him vomit?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Max is boxer mix, about 65 lbs. ate the slippers about 7pm while I was out. He's still a puppy and as usual thinks he can chew on ANYTHING.
While I await your reply, I'll type in the following. Assuming typical slippers (not the soles), I'd expect an otherwise healthy dog over approximately 45# ***** have a really good chance of passing something like this.
Ha! I love boxers. Why am I not surprised?!
Okay, so... Yes, it's too late to make him vomit.
You're in good territory size-wise for him to be able to pass this without trouble.
Regular diet in the meantime.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo