Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate a 100 mg. Cilostizol tablet. Buster is a 1 y/o 20lb.

He ate a 100...

He ate a 100 mg. Cilostizol tablet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Buster is a 1 y/o 20lb. BostonTerrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buster?

No, he is in excellent health

4/9/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

Thank you.
About 30 minutes ago

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Okay
He's sleeping right now.

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This drug is not really used in dogs so it is impossible to predict how serious this is. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However, if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a local vet without delay. { Even if this means using an ER vet }

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

How long before I will see signs of the medications effects if I can't get him to vomit?
He is sleeping at the moment

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. It is hard to say how this drug might affect your dog, but with most drugs if adverse side effects were going to occur then you might expect to see them round about the 2-hour mark after ingestion.

2. There is very little in the literature about this drug where it is used in dogs, the only dose rate I have seen was 0.5 mg as a total dose twice a day.

3. This might be something or it might be nothing but keep a good eye on your dog.

Regards,

Dr Scott

He is fine so far and it's been close to 11 hours since ingestion.

That sounds very encouraging, sounds like he got away with it ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you for your help.

.