Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chiwawa has been preganant to my count over the 63 day…

My chiwawa has been...

My chiwawa has been preganant to my count over the 63 day period but she hasnt went into labor but her temp has been 98.5 for 3 days now and the babys are moving around is she ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Chiwawa

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

4/9/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Are you taking her temperature rectally?

Does she seem in distress or sick?

Any nesting?

Have you noticed any contractions?

Any discharge from her vulva?

no shes pretty normal eating drinking etc no restlessness i havent seen any discharge or contractions

Thanks for the information. To me, it seems like she is okay at this point. We don't start to get too concerned unless they are past day 67 with no puppies and definitely past day 70. It is odd that her temperature has been that low for 3 days with no signs of labor, but I wouldn't consider it an emergency. It would be a good idea to have your vet just check her out tomorrow to be on the safe side since her temperature has been that low. From your description, it doesn't seem like she is in any danger at this point, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian