Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I discovered this morning that she ate an ant bait station…

I discovered this morning...

I discovered this morning that she ate an ant bait station last night around 10 pm but she seems perfectly fine and it's 1;25pm Eastern time. I found most of the plastic from the bait station chewed up on my family room floor this morning. She sleeps in my room with me and nothing was out of the ordinary. Can I assume she is okay, since so much time has passed. It's Sunday and the veterinarian office is closed. Also, money is very tight but I am concerned that she is poisoned and will die!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

One ant bait station. I described everything above.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No. Did you read my explanation? Of when she ate it and how much time has passed?

4/8/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. What was the active ingredient in the ant bait station?
  2. How much does your pup weigh?
  3. Is she an otherwise healthy pup?
  4. Is she taking any medications?
  5. Has she had any flea topical medication applied recently?
1. Abamectin B1 0.05%
2. About 25 pounds... I can go weight her if needed.
3.Very healthy
4. No other medications
5.No she hasn't had any topical flea medication applied recently

No worries, that all is good news, I'll be back in a few moments to give you my thoughts.

Abamectin is an insecticide in the same family as ivermection, which is used in heartworm prevention in dogs.

This class of drugs has a very high safety margin, and the amount used in ant traps is well below one that could cause any signs of toxicity in dogs, thus your pup seeming perfectly normal today.

She would literally have to eat 20 or so traps and be a breed with ivermectin sensitivity to get sick.

In short your girl should remain just fine, and this insecticide should be processed out of her body fully within 36-48 hours.

The main concern now would be the plastic irritating her intestines with sharp edges.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Oh No, I am way off... she weighs 16.3!!! Does that make a difference

No, this still won't be an issue. The amount of active ingredients in these traps is very, very tiny.

She will be fine.

Should I take her to the Vet tomorrow regarding the plastic hurting her intestines or am I safe to assume she will be fine since most of of the plastic was on my floor!? She is due for topical flea treatment but I assuming I should wait?

As long as she continues to eat and drink normally and is passing regular stools I would not worry too much.

You can add 1 tablespoon of canned (or fresh cooked) pumpkin to each meal for fiber to help cushion the pieces.

Then check her stools for plastic pieces over the next few days.

If she is vomiting, has frank bloody stools or refuses to eat then an exam is needed.

I would wait 4-5 days to apply the flea treatment. If she still seems fine then you can apply it.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara