Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bluish hued lumps under the skin on one breast they are soft…

Bluish hued lumps under...

Bluish hued lumps under the skin on one breast they are soft and movable

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Muffin 7-10. we adopted her from a shelter so it's an estimate

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Muffin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Muffin?

She was only spayed last year. but other wise she's in good health and isn't showing any symptoms of being sick

4/8/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Muffin. If she was spayed when she was older, she is at risk for breast cancer. There are different forms of breast cancer, and some more serious than others.

The best way to tell if this is cancer, and if these should be removed, would be to start with FNA (fine needle aspiration). You veterinarian inserts a small needle into the lumps, to get cells to look at microscopically.

you're answer is to see the vet? would you like a photo?

A photo may help, and it is good it is soft and moveable, but the only way to know if it is cancer or not is to do some kind of biopsy. FNA is simple, requires no sedation, and that is usually where I start.

Give me a moment to load the picture.

Thanks for the picture. Could this be a bruise? I see the blue color, but it is hard to tell if this is a lump. If it is, and if it does not go away like a bruise would, I would do FNA if she were my own dog.

I orginally thought is was a bruise but started to worry because it was on the breast. she does not seem uncomfortable and it's a bit bumpy when you touch it.

If it is bumpy, it might be a tumor. Touching it and seeing it are helpful, but the only way to know what it is would be to have some cells examined microscopically.

ok...if it were a bruise how long would you expect for it to go away? i only noticed it two days ago, trying to gauge how long it would be to see a change. Not opposed to going to the vet but I don't want to rush in if it's only a bruise
did you see my final question?

Sorry, I went offline briefly; computer problem.

If it were a bruise it should go away in a week or so.

Please let me know how she is doing, if you have other quesitons, and if this is helpful.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the positive rating.

How is she doing?

She’s fine. No change in behavior, eating or bathroom habits. She isn’t displaying any signs of being sick

Have the blue areas changed at all?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?