Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Had him neutered 2 days ago, and he is still sick. throwing…

Had him neutered 2...

Had him neutered 2 days ago, and he is still sick. throwing up water. What can I fix him to eat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog 6 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No hasn't kept anything down since coming home yesterday at 12.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Nick

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nick?

Generally he very easy going and eats twice a day.

4/8/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Nick. I'm so sorry he's sick, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

I understand you'd like to know what you can make him to eat, but when a dog is vomiting, it's actually important to NOT offer them anything to eat. That'll just make the vomiting last longer.

As a general rule, when a dog has an upset stomach, the first step is to withhold all food and water for 24 hours to give the stomach a chance to empty itself and rest.

And if the dog continues to vomit after being fasted, he needs to go to the vet.

If the dog shows other signs along with the vomiting like weakness, collapse, labored breathing, decreased energy, and loss of appetite, it's important to go to the vet even sooner.

This article does a good job of outlining the steps to take at home for a vomiting dog:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/home-care-for-the-vomiting-dog/

Ok, good to know that. I just hate to see him suffer. Would we feed him his regular food after 24 hrs.

Also, it's worth mentioning that vomiting is NOT a side effect of being neutered that we expect. This could be an indication that Nick is having some complications that warrant medical attention.

After the 24-hour fast, you'd start with small amounts of water first. Don't offer any food until you're sure he can keep water down. Don't let him drink a bunch all at once, either, because just the volume could make him vomit.

Offer tiny amounts and spend several hours working up to larger amounts to see if he can keep that down.

After half a day of drinking water and keeping that down,you can offer a tiny amount of food. You can use either his regular food, or make a bland diet of a 50/50 mix of boiled chicken and white rice.

A tiny amount is only a tablespoon or so.

Is he taking any medications right now? Anything for pain?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
My husband said that he vomited 1 hr after giving it to him.

I must have missed something....

Vomited *what* one hour after giving it to him?

Pain pill

What is the name of this pain pill?

Vet didn't tell us. Pain and antibotic combined.

Hmm. That's unusual. It should be written on the prescription label (that's required by law).

Regardless, the general rule under these circumstances is to stop any oral medications while your dog is vomiting and to call your vet to let them know.

Vetprofen 5 ml
Thank you

Thank you. That is not an antibiotic. It's an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever kind of like Advil.

It should definitely NOT be given to a vomiting dog.

You're very welcome. I do hope this information helps and that Nick stops vomiting overnight.

Remember, if he shows any signs of more severe distress, you'll need to seek medical attention.

We will.

Sounds good.

Is there anything else I can help you with for now?

If that's all, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you this evening.

Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo