Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is hacking, like he needs to rid something he ate,

My dog is hacking...

My dog is hacking, like he needs to rid something he ate, but nothing is coming up. It started acutely yesterday morning after his usual outside morning routine. He keeps having bouts of snorting and hacking, like he needs to throw up, and he is not eating and drinking like he usually does. He is 8 months old daschund.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Maximillian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maximillian?

He is current with all his shots

Oh well, I tried to send a short vid from my iPhone x but the format is not compatible.
Its almost as if he has a hairball that he is harking up, but it doesn't come up and he has been going at it off and on since yesterday. I have given him Benadryl thinking he might have an onset of allergies, but that hasn't stopped the harking and gagging.
We also thought it might be reverse sneezing, but have watched many videos and that's isn't whats going on, its more of a cough, and he has also been vaccinated against kennel cough, so we keep thinking he ingested something that he is unable to throw up?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
What is the estimated time for a answer
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/7/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate your advice.

I'm sorry to hear that Maximillian has a gagging/hacking cough along with snorting and I understand that you are concerned about him.

A cough simply means he is experiencing airway irritation.

A cough can be related to heart disease, including heartworm, lung disease secondary to a viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic infection or tracheal irritation due to a bacterial, viral or fungal infection.

In a young dog infectious disease is by far the most common cause. Of those kennel cough or infectious tracheobronchitis is one of the most common causes. If he gets out and about (goes on walks, has neighbor dogs, goes to the kennel or a groomer) then kennel cough would be high on my list of possible problems.

I understand that he has been vaccinated but we cannot vaccinate against all of the agents that cause kennel cough and some dogs will still get sick even with the vaccine. The good news is that dogs that are vaccinated usually don't get as sick as dogs that haven't been vaccinated.

As long as a pup is still able to eat and drinking well, isn't lethargic, isn't running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F), and he doesn't have a green or yellow nasal or eye discharge then you can try taking a watch and see approach and using an over the counter cough suppressant.

Make sure he gets plenty of fluids, lots of rest as the more active he is then more he will cough, and eats well. Add warm water or low salt chicken broth to his food to help ease throat soreness and get more fluids in. The better hydrated he is the better he will feel and the thinner his respiratory secretions will be.

You can take him into the bathroom with you when you take a hot bath or shower so he can breathe the steam which is soothing to his airways and thins mucous, making it easier for him to breathe. You can also use a humidifier in the room he sleeps in.

His cough should slowly resolve over the next 2 to 3 weeks. Most of the time these dogs feel pretty well so it's a matter of keeping them quiet and suppressing the cough if we can.

If the cough is very bad such that he cannot sleep you can use human cough/cold medications with Guaifenesin (an expectorant) and Dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant) only such as Benylin or Robitussin DM can help. Give 1 teaspoon per 20 to 25 pounds every 6 to 8 hours.

If he is running a fever this is almost certainly a contagious infection and if he is running a fever and is lethargic then an examination is definitely warranted as pneumonia may have developed.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Rarely this can be a sign of canine influenza, but those dogs tend to be much sicker with a very high fever and severe lethargy. If he suddenly gets much worse and has a high fever he should see his veterinarian. Aggressive supportive care can save his life with a bad influenza infection. Make sure to let them know his symptoms when you are bringing him in as he should be quarantined.

You do want to keep him away from dog parks, the groomer, doggie daycares, and neighbor dogs, and ideally he should not be walked so he doesn't spread this.

Sorry about the offer of a phone call. That is an automatic, site generated offer that many licensed veterinarians are unable to fulfill. Many states/province licensing boards do not allow veterinarians to communicate via phone calls, unless they have previously physically examined a pet. The states and Province I am licensed in have that restriction. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can reply and ask any follow-up questions regarding my written response and I will be happy to respond to them here.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). Again, you are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Thank you for your advice, I feel it may be an infection as well and will heed your expert recommendations.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know how things go for him.

I will keep in touch with you, Max is my lil guy and just love him so much. I’m going to the store to get some Robitussin DM to help him with his cough and will be sure he gets plenty of fluid...he tends to drink too fast anyways before this cough started he used to gulp his water and end up coughing after drinking.

Sounds like a great plan. Perhaps letting him lick ice cubes will get the fluids in, soothe his throat, and stop him from gobbling too much water at once.

That’s a great idea! I will definitely do that! ��
Hi Dr. Kara,
I just wanted to touch with you on Max's condition. I did go ahead and take him back to another Dr. Saturday morning and she confirmed that Max had a bronchial/tracheal inflammation and similar to bronchitis. She gave me antibiotics for him to take for 10 days, and also gave me some coughing tabs that, I'm happy to say, he is no longer needing because the coughing has ceased. She did xrays and showed there were no obstructions which made me feel better, but did see the inflammation that was causing the coughs. Max is so much better, full of energy once more, and being his puppy self playing and romping around the house with his toys. I just wanted to let you know he is much better now, and to thank you once again for helping me. Your knowledge is priceless. :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to update me on Max. I am pleased to hear that he responded very well to antibiotic therapy and is getting well. My best to your little buddy Max, Dr. Kara.