Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My toy poodle has been bleeding from her vagina and her

My toy poodle has...

My toy poodle has been bleeding from her vagina and her stomach is hard. She is eating fine and does not act sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your toy poodle?

She is 11 years old

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/6/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

How much blood are you seeing?

Is she spayed?

It’s been about 4months. I took her to the vet she thought it was a blater infection. The antibiotics did nothing. Very little blood a drop ever once in a while. Yes she is spayed

Thanks for the information. My initial concern was a pyometra (infected uterus after a heat cycle). Given that she is spayed that is not likely unless she was spayed recently and may have a remnant of an ovary left in there. So, if that or a urinary tract infection, I would be highly suspicious of a tumor in the vaginal cavity or cervix. It would be a good idea to have your vet get a clean urine sample with a needle and submit it for a culture to make sure there is no infection. I would definitely talk to them about doing a thorough vaginal exam. Sometimes it can be done with an otoscope and cone, but sometimes endoscopy is necessary for a full evaluation. They may be able to feel something with a digital vaginal exam as well. I would be looking for a tumor in there. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John