Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He got into our garbage and ate some ranch style beans

He got into our...

He got into our garbage and ate some ranch style beans yesterday morning. yesterday evening we returned home and there was loose stool everywhere. then this morning on my way out I found another small amount of loose stool and a large amound of partially digested dogfood throwup in my entry way. hes kept down water but my husband said he threw up what looked like drool just now. were a little worried. im thinking it could be an upset tummy and we are starting a chicken and rice diet now but I just want to make sure nothing else is going on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No. hes been perfectly healthy up until today

4/5/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about your little guy. What is his name? Can you tell me what breed he is? Is he still acting pretty alert and active? How long ago did he last vomit again?

His name is ***** ***** is a pitt bull weighs about 70lbs hes up and moving around now hes kind of a lazy dog and doesn't normally get up and play until I arrive home around 5:30. He vomited this morning around 8 am and then he vomited again about 45 minutes. my husband has taken him out 10 times over the course of 8 hours to use the restroom and about 4 out of the 10 times he had loose stool.
I just want to make sure that there isn't anything I can give him or anything I can do to help him not be sick anymore :(

The loose stools aren't surprising at all. The eating of the ranch style beans was something new to his intestinal tract and that can get things to be off for a day or two with diarrhea. Could have gotten something else out of the garbage? That is the unknown. Was it just all food or could there have been some non-digestible things consumed. Vomiting is a pretty open ended clinical sign. It could be due to gastritis from eating the new foods. It could be from eating something that isn't digestible and is not passing through well. It could be due to a flare up of the pancreas. These are probably the 3 biggest things to consider in this situation with him. As far as at home, the best thing that can be done there is to pull up food and water for 8 hours to let his stomach rest. If this is just an upset stomach and diarrhea related to it, things have a good chance of settling down during that time. IF the vomiting continues despite this or he's not eating in the 24 hours or drinking after the next 8 hours of food and water being pulled up, then concern definitely rises.

How is Monty doing today? I'm hoping better!

much better! we were so worried but once we pulled the food and water up he started progressing thanks for all your help!

Yeah! I'm glad that Monty is doing much better. Hopefully he gets back to 100% normal here soon. Tell him to stay out of the garbage. :)

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian