Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 14 mth old female French bulldog named Delilah. She…

I have a 14 mth...
I have a 14 mth old female French bulldog named Delilah. She is very sick although she does not know it or show any signs of her grade 4 heart murmur. The problem is she has constant diarrhea. Over a year now. She’s on a Heart med. atenolol we give her lean Beef with rice a tablespoon of pumpkin and a royal canine French bulldog dry food. Sometime her stool is semi solid, but most of the time it’s pretty watery. We are at are wits end can anyone help? We have tried chicken and rice beef and rice pro-biotics enzymes anything we could do we have tried. She is a little sweetheart.we want her to have a good life for however long that may be.
Thank you
Jim
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/4/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I'm so sorry to hear about Delilah. I am working on response and will be back shortly.
there are a few things that come to mind and maybe you have tried them already but I will outline some of my ideas for you. So anytime I see a young dog that is having consistently abnormal stool I recommend checking a stool sample for intestinal parasites. That seems like a very obvious thing to do but you would be surprised how many times a dog would have a parasite that could be contributing to the diarrhea. It is very important to rule this out as a possibility. Second, this breed tends to have food sensitivities or food allergies. I would suggest trying her on a limited ingredient diet. She needs to be put on a protein and carbohydrate source that she has never been on before. I would avoid chicken and beef and maybe try something like lamb. Zignature makes a lot of great limited ingredient diet that can be good for dogs that have food sensitivity. Ideally you would want to gradually transition her onto this food however she is already having diarrhea so it may not make a difference. Third, I would Implement Fiber. Original Metamucil is a great fiber source that can help with dogs that have chronic colitis. If you provide me her weight I can give you the amount that you should give her. Do not get the flavored type, only the original. Many dogs that have chronically loose stool are fiber responsive. I would continue to do a probiotic if you are doing one at this time. So to summarize I would make sure that there is no intestinal parasite issue, implementing limited ingredient diet and no additional human food or treats. Sticking with only one type of protein source. finally I would Implement a fiber source to see if she is fiber responsive.
There's another thing that you could consider if she does not seem to be improving on the above suggestions. Sometimes these dogs need to be on a short course of an antibiotic like metronidazole or Tylosin. This can be short-term or a little bit longer depending upon what's going on with the pet.
We have had her stool tested several times it always comes back normal. We are desperate to help her. We have gone back and fourth to the breeder and our vet. She is a butiful and loving dog. We know how sick she is and are giving her a forever home as apposed to the breeder putting her down. I will try what you have suggested we just switch to small breed digestive issues science diet adding brown rice and a tablespoon of pumpkin. We have 2 frechies gus our male is 4 and in the truest term a gift from god. They wrestle and play all the time and are together like best friends all the time. They are adorable together. He would be devasted if she left or passed on. Another reason we are commited to finding a solution.
Thank you
Jim
I understand how you feel. I am really glad that you have the stool tested. Did they ever try to use an antibiotic such as tylosin? I absolutely love the breed. Again I would be very Cautious with the food and recommend putting her on something she's never been on before. She could have a rice sensitivity or chicken or beef sensitivity and so it would be valuable to have her on a limited ingredient diet of something that she's never ever been on before. Some of these dogs also do very well on hydrolyzed diets. the pumpkin is fine but the Metamucil may work better if for some reason she's also not processing the pumpkin. We want to try to simplify her diet as much as possible.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
I can understand your love for her and want to help in any way that I can. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I am happy to help. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Hi Jim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Delila. How is everything going?
Dr. Nicole