Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is 6 yrs old and is having a very heavy menstral flow it…

Customer Question
She is 6 yrs...

She is 6 yrs old and is having a very heavy menstral flow it has a mucus look to it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She's not eating much but drinking and peeing like crazy

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Buffy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buffy?

Not really, she's due soon for her yearly shots

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! How long ago was her last hear prior to this?

I am very concerned that Buffy has something called pyometra. This is when the uterus becomes infected and full of pus...my guess is that is what you are seeing come out that looks mucousy. Dogs feel very sick and lethargic, they don't want to eat and sometimes they vomit. The toxins from the bacteria cause then to drink and urinate alot. These are all things that you are describing.

This an emergency situation. I'm glad you are seeing discharge and that means it is open and draining...when it is closed the uterus can get so big it ruptures. She needs to go to the vet right away to make sure that is really what is happening...you'll need to go to an ER if your regular vet can't see her. If I am correct, she will die without treatment.

This is treated most commonly by spaying, though some medical options do exist in breeding animals.

I'm wishing Buffy the best. I'm hoping I'm wrong!

Let me know if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars; I am not compensated for my time otherwise. You can always follow up with questions after rating.

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 20 days ago

How's Buffy this morning?

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 18 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian