Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dogs has a rash/hot spot on her back paw between her

Hi, my dogs has a rash/hot spot on her back paw between her toes. She’s been licking it a lot. Today she developed an ear infection, and I’m noticing some red spots around her mouth. Do you have any idea what this could be? She has an appointment at the vet tomorrow.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your Dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your Dog's name and age?
Customer: Quinn and she is 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Quinn?
Customer: That’s it! She’s a goldendoodle and slicks back her mustache a lot, so her mouth tends to be wet

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

It's reasonable to assume that you're seeing evidence of an allergic dermatitis with secondary bacterial or yeast infection but I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I share the Dropbox with you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Her foot
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mouth spots

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The ear is "reactive" which describes the changes seen with a more widespread allergic dermatitis. I'll find an abundance of both bacteria and yeast (Malaessezia) in such an ear. The interdigital erythema (redness) is also consistent with a more widespread allergic dermatitis. It, too, is likely to be secondarily infected. Regretfulyl, the mouth spots photo is too out of focus to assess properly. Can you try again?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Good work. She appears to have worn away pigment by her rubbing of her muzzle. Once again, a secondary bacterial infection is likely - in this case a chin/lip pyoderma. It's not an acne but, instead, a furuncular bacterial infection. The left upper lip skin lesion may represent a histiocytoma - a benign growth of young dogs that crumbles away unaided within a few months. Her vet can needle aspirate that and examine the aspirate microscopically. It's relatively easy to identify a histiocytoma. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If the bump isn’t raised/hard could it still be a histiocytoma? It doesn’t irritate her when you mess with it and it doesn’t feel any different from the other skin around it.

No, histiocytomas are raised and, in fact, can end up looking like a raspberry. If it isn't raised, it's just another area of pyoderma.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, thank you so much for your quick responses!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?