Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog is about 1 year old and he just peed himself why…

Customer Question
Our dog is about...

Our dog is about 1 year old and he just peed himself why sleeping. He doesn't have any energy and when we tried to stand him up he has no balance. This is not normal behavior for him. very concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Hes tightening up his legs while we have him sitting right now. flexing them my son said hes been fine all day

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 17 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your fellow. This does sound very concerning.

1. Is he mentally aware of you and his surroundings?
  2. Has he been eating and drinking normally?
  3. Is he fully vaccinated?
  4. Is it possible that he been exposed to toxins (slug bait, rodenticides, pesticides)?

There are things that we need to consider about him to help us figure out why he had this episode.

Was he mentally aware during this episode? Meaning did he respond to you talking to him?

What was he doing before this episode occurred?

Has he eaten anything different recently?

Has he been given any medications recently?

Possible toxin exposure?

Has he been his normal self recently? Eating, drinking, playful and active as usual?

This episode sounds very much like a seizure.

Seizures are rhythmic, unintentional muscle movements which the dog is unable to control and often loses consciousness during. Many dogs will repeatedly have chewing and or paddling motions of their legs, drooling, be unable to walk normally, and in some cases can lose urine and stool control.

After a seizure a dog may be tired and a bit confused why they are and about the time period that they seem to have lost. They know something happened, but they have no memory of the episode. As you can imagine that is unsettling.

There can be several reasons for seizures.

The most common is idiopathic epilepsy. That means that we don't know why but a circuit of sensitive neurons in the brain gets stuck repeatedly firing. Epilepsy begins happening most commonly in dogs 6 months to 6 years of age so he is in the right age range for this to be the cause of his episode. We do believe that there is a genetic basis for dogs to have epilepsy as certain breeds are more commonly afflicted and siblings will often have them as well. If mom carried some of the genetics for epilepsy she may not be affected. But if she bred with a male that also carried some of the genetics for epilepsy (and he may not have been affected either) then together if the wrong combination of genes resulted we could get puppies with epilepsy.

Other causes for seizures are viral, bacterial, parasitic or fungal infections, toxin exposure, sensitivity to medications (like ivermectin in some heartworm preventions or certain types of flea control products), metabolic diseases leading to waste products building up and affecting brain chemistry, low blood sugar, hypothyroidism, or even granulomas or masses in the brain.

Most of the other disease processes that cause seizures cause other symptoms, those dogs are sick or abnormal other than the seizure.

If he seems to come back to being aware and seems himself you can take a watch and see approach. Some dogs have one seizure and never have another one.

Here are some recommendations for dogs with seizure episodes.

Some dogs with lower than normal seizure thresholds will seizure in response to being exposed to artificial colors, preservatives or gluten. So you might wish to feed him a diet without artificial dyes or flavors. Purina® Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets NeuroCare is formulated just for dogs that suffer from seizures.

Decreasing stress is also a way to avoid seizures so if you know an event will be stressful for him avoid it if possible. You can also use calming sprays such as DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) or pheromone impregnated collars to keep him calm.

Exercise should be kept at normal levels. Exercise is a great way to naturally relieve stress and increase positive endorphin levels in the brain.

In a patient with a possible seizure episode I would have your veterinarian examine him, check a biochemistry profile to look at organ health, a thyroid profile to make sure his thyroid function is normal, and a complete blood count. We do want to make sure there are no underlying problems.

If his seizures become more frequent than once a month or more than one happens in a day, even if it has been several months since the last one, I would discuss medication to prevent them. The reason for that is the likelihood of status epilepticus (one seizure after another) and possible brain damage is higher with those scenarios and we wish to avoid that.

If he is not returning to an aware state then he should see a veterinarian on an emergency basis.

If his episode was more of a fainting or syncope episode (where he just seemed to collapse and lose consciousness rather than rhythmic muscle movements) then he may have a heart condition. Your veterinarian can also examine him for any heart rhythm abnormalities and recommend medication to help.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 14 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 13 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian