Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been having diarrhea every single meal unless i make…

Customer Question
She has been having...

She has been having diarrhea every single meal unless i make her rice and carrots. Also she has been biting on things and biting her paws. Her ears smell as well. I got her teeth checked out by a vet as i thought maybe she had an infection because shes randomly biting everything with horrible breath

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Coco and she is a 14 year old poodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Coco?

14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?

No that is all of the symptoms, stinky breath, biting things, biting her paws, diarreaha except when on rice diet

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I'm so sorry to hear about Coco. I am working on a response and will be back shortly. How much does she weigh?
It sounds like we have multiple issues going on here so I'm going to try to address all aspects of your question. First of all she's a 14 year old dog so we don't know if there is anything seriously going on internally with her liver kidneys etc. Second, it sounds like she probably has some allergy issues because she is licking and chewing at herself. If you provide me her weight I can get you the dose of a couple antihistamines that you can try. Also more frequent bathing can also be helpful in dogs that have allergies. She likely does have an infection both in her ears and on her skin if she does have allergies and is chewing and licking. As far as her breath poodles are one of the number 1 breeds for dental disease and at the age of 14 if she's never had a dental cleaning before she probably has a severely infected mouth. This can also make her skin smell worse if she is licking and chewing. Finally as far as the diarrhea if you want to try to feed her her regular food you could try implementing some original Metamucil. This is a great fibersource I can help with loose stool again if you provide me with her weight I can give you a dose. Do not use the flavored type.
Are you there?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian