Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog found an unchewed piece of Nicolette 4mg and chewed…

Customer Question
My dog found an unchewed...
My dog found an unchewed piece of Nicolette 4mg and chewed into it maybe 5 seconds and spit it out on the floor. She is 15 pounds. That was twenty minutes ago. Should I be worried at all? It does have xilitol in it.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok. She is asymptomatic, now thirty minutes past.
I do not wish to have a phone call.
Hello?

I am sorry to hear that your pup chewed on and possibly ingested some of the ingredients from a piece of 4mg Nicorette gum.

In short, yes you need to be concerned, especially because she is so small.

The second ingredient listed is xylitol which means by weight it is the second highest amount ingredient in the gum, and xylitol is highly toxic for dogs. Xylitol toxicity symptoms from a sudden drop in blood sugar include vomiting, weakness, incoordination, and severe lethargy, and the truly toxic effects of xylitol, seizures, coma, liver disease and/or failure. It may take as long as a couple hours for effects to become apparent, so I am glad she seems ok, she may not remain so.

The other concern is nicotine, which dogs are quite sensitive to. The toxic level of nicotine in dogs is 5 milligrams of nicotine per pound of body weight, so in her case about 75mgs (5mgs per pound X 15 pounds = 75mgs). In dogs a toxic amount can be deadly. In her case it is unlikely she will be seriously affected given she was only exposed to 4mgs, but we could see a high heart rate and some hyperactivity for a while.

I would err on the side of safety and have her spend the day with her veterinarian so they can check her blood sugar periodically and watch her for symptoms. If she seems fine all day then she should remain so.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****