Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was referencing your conversation about stopping

Customer Question
I was referencing your...

I was referencing your conversation about stopping gabapentin. I would like to try cbd oil for my dog and was going to begin reducing her 1/2 tablet dosage of gabapentin once a day. she's only been on it less than a week

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

She is elder. has cataracts, dental disease and arthritis, but has a very healthy appetite, eliminates fine, etc.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She has been exhibiting anxious behavior with circling and hiding in the corners and this is my main concern that she is in pain that I am unaware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She was recently prescribed gabapentin and galliprant but I would prefer to try hemp or cbd oil to see if that might ease her anxiety

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 20 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Because you haven't administered the gabapentin chronically, there's no need to taper the dose off slowly. Abrupt discontinuation of the drug after chronic use has led to withdrawal-precipitated seizures. Current recommendation for oral dosing of CBD in dogs is 0.01 - 0.05 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. For pain management most dogs do well at 0.025 mg/lb twice daily. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
May I continue to give her galliprant or should I discontinue both gabapentin + galliprant if I try the cbd oil? She takes galliprant in capsules twice daily

By trial and error you can administer only the CBD oil, CBD oil + Galliprant, or CBD oil + Galliprant + gabapentin. The correct therapy is the one that provides the most comfort for her. Please note that having CBD oil and gabapentin on board concurrently might be overly sedative and reducing the dose of the gabapentin would be my initial adjustment in that scenario. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thank you so much!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian