Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

They have said he has MMM, his head is indented. He is

Customer Question
They have said he...

They have said he has MMM , his head is indented. He is currently on prednisone, what are his chances from recovering? Do you have any ides of what could possibly benefit his situation

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He isn't himself he very withdrawn. Is he in pain???

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Tank and he is 5 years old. A french bulldog

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tank?

5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tank?

The only problem he has ever had is skin problems

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Tank. His prognosis for acute MM is good when initiation of treatment is prompt and therapy is long term Inadequate dosing or treatment for an insufficient period of time is associated with a high rate of relapse. The prognosis is only fair to guarded for chronic MM when extensive atrophy and fibrosis of masticatory muscles leads to progressive inability to open the mouth. His indentations indicate atropy but fibrosis (scarring) may not have begun.

The acute phase is painful due to muscle swelling/inflammation. Decreased activity, lethargy, fever, regional lymphadenopathy (lymph node enlargement), dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), reluctance to eat, weight loss, drooling, a change in bark to a more high-pitched sounds, and pain on yawning or when grabbing toys are all possible signs. The goal of therapy is to alleviate pain, blunt the inflammatory response, prevent muscle fibrosis, and restore normal opening and closing of the mouth. Prednisone alone should suffice to satisfy those goals and it's usually necessary to maintain dogs on a low-dose alternative-day oral prednisone therapy to prevent relapses for as long as 8-12 months. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Will he have this condition forever Or does it go in a "remission" from time to time. Do they know what really causes it?
Thanks for your advice. I am somewhat disapointed you couldn't answer the second question without charging me more money. Goodbye

It's expected that treatment is curative although relapses do occur. Yes, it's an autoimmune disorder. Please continue our conversation if you wish. There's no additional charge for us to converse indefinitely.

I am sorry, this is a very upsetting thing that my dog has,is there anything I can do to boost his immunity?

No worries. Boosting his immunity is the last thing we want to do. Because this is an autoimmune disorder - his immune system is attacking his own tissues - we need to immunosuppress him. That's one of the functions of a glucocorticoid such as prednisone. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE !!!! YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY !!!!! Goodbye

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.