Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 1/2 year old male lab mix. He has a sarcoma (as…

Customer Question
I have a 13 1/2...
I have a 13 1/2 year old male lab mix. He has a sarcoma (as diagnosed by aspiration) on his left rear leg. It does not seem to bother him but is quite large. Is removing it the right thing to do?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Well, there are a lot of factors you have to think about here. First off, does your vet think it can be fully removed? Certain sarcomas go deeper than we think and may be difficult to fully remove. If that is the case, amputation would be the better choice for full removal. For a 13 1/2 year old dog, that would probably be a surgery I wouldn't recommend. Not saying it would be wrong to amputate if he is completely healthy otherwise, and your vet feels like he may still have a couple more good years left, but it can be harder for him to recover, and he can easily get sick from something else soon after. Plus, some sarcomas are slow growing and may take that long to grow anyway. If your vet thinks he can fully remove the mass with no problem, and he is completely healthy otherwise, I would remove it because at some point soon it may become uncomfortable, and removing it early can give him more time. Checking an abdominal ultrasound and chest x-rays to see if there is evidence of spread of cancer would be a good idea before surgical removal as well because any presence of metastasis would make surgical removal of the primary tumor less beneficial. If that mass is large, though, there is a good chance it cannot be fully removed without amputation. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Lab mix is doing and to see if you have any other questions.