Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a volva that is very dark red and she licks it all…

Customer Question
She has a volva...

She has a volva that is very dark red and she licks it all the time. She has had meds from the vet but nothing helps after they are gone.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She has had Cephalexin & Proin lately and after they are gong it comes back. It also makes her "leak" when she is licking that area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

It appears that it is bleeding so I suppose that area then hurts, I really can't tell that she hurts anywhere else that that area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is right about 12 years old. She is a Blue Merle Collie that we brought into our house when she was 8. She is simply a loving dog that now lives with us but she had been used to raise puppies where she was before until she came to us.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sara?

We haven't had any other real "health" problems with her. But she is VERY shy and hates loud noises. Until she gets to understand those noises she comes to our side very nervous and scared. I don't know if this is part of her constant licking of that area. I just know that it is a vary raw area now.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 3 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long has she had this problem?

Is she spayed now?

Did they prescribe anything else for her to put on the area?

Does she scratch a lot or have hair loss anywhere else?

Did she have a uti?

Hi JaCustomer, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated. How long has she had this problem?Is she spayed now?Did they prescribe anything else for her to put on the area?Does she scratch a lot or have hair loss anywhere else?

Did she have a uti?