Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 yo russell/pug mix has been experiencing difficulty…

Customer Question
My 9 yo *****...

My 9 yo ***** *****/pug mix has been experiencing difficulty with his back right leg. While I am concerned about that, I am more concerned with odd behavior that really escalated yesterday. He is hesitant about walking through parts of our house, almost like he's seeing or hearing things that frighten him. If he was a child, I'd think he was afraid of monsters. Plus I've noticed that his eyes have been tearing consistently, enough I have to wipe the tracks away several times a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes. He was recently at the vet for an ortho exam for the pet insurance I got. They didn't find anything wrong with the leg, although they said it might be arthritis. He actually tore his left hind ACL which has healed through time on its own, so I was thinking it was compensating for it, but it's rapidly increased since the end of January with no obvious cause. I'm more concerned about his odd behavior, making me think we might be missing something else going on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He loves walking but I've been resting him in the hopes it will improve the leg. Am thinking maybe our larger dog might have caused something to go out of alignment with the rough-housing they sometimes do. Our dog is medium size, about 33 pounds.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also don't know if this is relevant or not, but a few months ago he had a urinary tract infection that he was treated for with antibiotics.
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please attach video of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

There is an additional charge for sending a video or using the websites you mentioned? I am now at work and not able to send one at this time.

Both of the websites above are free.

I really don't know how to send a video. I'll try to describe it as best I can. It seems all of a sudden he's hesitant to walk on the hardwood floors. It's like when I was a kid and we'd play a game that you can only walk in certain spots and if you walk in the other areas, a monster will get you. I know it sounds odd, but it's like he's spooked walking across the wood floor. When I can actually convince him to walk, he tries to stick close to the walls or the mats near the doors and scurries through the other areas. I used cheese to entice him this morning, and he still wouldn't budge. It's like he's seeing things that aren't there and is spooked by them. It's very odd behavior. I don't know if it's somehow tied in with the pain or discomfort he's experiencing in his hind leg.

It's not uncommon for behavioral issues to manifest when dogs are uncomfortable so, yes, it's quite possible this is tied together with the pain in his leg.

Has your vet placed him on any medication for the suspect arthritis in his leg?

Have any x-rays been taken?

Have you tried any high traction (carpet or rubber) runners through the rooms where he's acting like this?

It's only suspected arthritis so they put him on Dasuquin to try to help with joints. I haven't tried a runner since the behavior only started yesterday and I was hoping that he'd be over it by today. No x-rays have been taken but that's probably my next step.

Excellent. A joint supplement is a good start. X-rays should be the next step and I'd also talk to your vet about trying a trial of NSAIDs to see if this helps. A runner might help with the behavior if medication alone doesn't work. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given and you wish to try something for discomfort before going to the vet. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

Good morning, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have regarding their care? ​