Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's nursing puppies and she wasn't eating or drinking

Customer Question
She's nursing puppies and...

She's nursing puppies and she wasn't eating or drinking hardly at all because she wouldn't leave her puppies. So I had some pork gravy that I stirred up in her food and she ate a lot! It was made from gravy packets and salty. She's an 11 lb shih tsu.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

She's the nursing mother. Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

Should I feed the puppy puppy formula? Should I induce vomiting of the mother? Have I poisoned her with the sodium? The puppies are 3 days old.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help!

Is she feeling ok now? No vomiting?

I wouldn't worry about salt toxicity....it's not enough for that. I also wouldn't make her vomit...she most likely will be fine.

That is rich...I would pick low sodium chicken broth next time. If she starts vomiting, I'd recommend 10mg pepcid AC twice daily along with some bland diet (boiled chicken/hamburger and rice) for a day or two.

I considered this to be an emergency and several hours later you are just getting around to me?!! I ended up calling the ASPCA Emergency Vet line.

I'm sorry. This service is based on vets signing on when they have time....it is not an emergency service. I just signed on...I'm sorry no one was available earlier.

If you are unhappy I can flag customer service for a refund.

It said estimated wait time was 8 minutes! Yes please flag customer service. Are they available now?
I went online to see if it was a dangerous situation and I was directed to your site. I had to pay up front and then... Nothing!
Are you flagging customer service?
Why doesn't this site inform you that the vets are only available when "they have time"?
Hello?