Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She hasnt eaten in 3days and barely drinks water she is been…

Customer Question
She hasnt eaten in...

She hasnt eaten in 3days and barely drinks water she is been vomiting and just standing next to the sink

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A 6month old shnauzer

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if the schnauzer will be able to digest that. What is the schnauzer's name?

She is pooping diarrhea and it has a very foul odor and looks very dark red

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the schnauzer?

She is been like that since Friday which the last thing I recall giving her was chicken bones

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would recommend taking her to the vet ASAP for bloodwork and xrays. Chicken bones can cause a lot of GI distress and sometimes can cause GI ulcerations, they can get stuck in the GI tract, and they can cause GI perforations. These can be serious and will often need hospitalization. If you are unable to get her to the vet, you can try the following, but ultimately, she needs to be seen at the vet so she can get proper treatment in hospital.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. You can give Metamucil, 1 capsule on the food every 12 hours, which is a fiber supplement to help firm up her stools. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I had given her children peptol bismol like around 10 pm and she still poop dark red blood but now its texture is like mucus and now she is walking a little bit more but she still wont eat ill go ahead and try pedialyte in the meanwhile see how she wakes up in the morning