Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has an awful case of yeast overgrowth...skin is black n…

Customer Question
She has an awful...

She has an awful case of yeast overgrowth...skin is black n some spots flaky and very itchy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

11 year old mini doxie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes a mini doxie

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the animal's name and age?

Ginger 11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ginger?

11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?

She had the prob once before and with digestive enzymes and acidopholis and restricted diet sje healed completely..this time around is much worse

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Most likely, she has an underlying allergy (environmental or food) that has to be addressed. Those skin areas could be a yeast infection, but it may also be a bacterial infection or a combination of the two. It is impossible to say without getting a skin impression with a slide and looking under the microscope. With some skin infection issues, promoting gastrointestinal health can help, but it really doesn't like she needs to be on something for allergies from your vet. It could be a short course of prednisone or starting on Apoquel for long-term control. An oral antibiotic and/or antifungal medication are most likely necessary. In addition, a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole based shampoo used daily for 1 week, leaving it on for 10 minutes before rinsing, can really help to get the skin infection under control. Given her age, I would talk to your vet about checking her for hypothyroidism as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Ginger is doing and to see if you have any other questions.