Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pit has been behaving strangely. She will be sleeping and…

Customer Question
My pit bull has been...
My pit bull has been behaving strangely. She will be sleeping and awake so suddenly like she’s been startled. She also appears to be seeing things that aren’t there. She’s acting like she’s afraid of something. And she doesn’t come when I call her in from the yard. Please help!!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 3 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Is she spayed?

If not, when was her last heat cycle?

Has she been running in the woods or around bushes?

Does she scratch a lot?

Does she have any discharge from her eyes?

she’s spayed. We live in the mountains. But this behavior started on Saturday and she was in a fenced yard that day. No scratching. No discharge. She gets this far away look in her eyes and won’t come when I call her. She doesn’t want to come inside either at times. She acts as if she’s spooked too. Then other times she is just fine. We think she could have possibly eaten a marijuana cookie at my in laws Saturday but that shouldn’t have lasted this long right? It’s getting better too. But then there are moments of fear and such. Just very odd. She looks like she’s watching things that I can’t see.

Thanks for the additional information. I'm typing up your reply now.

Let me address the marijuana issue first. You can read about marijuana toxicity here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/marijuana-intoxication.pml

THC is stored in the fat and thus the affects of it can last for days. You can burn some toast and see if you can get that down him to absorb some of the toxin but at this point it has been absorbed and stored. You may want to switch to pedialyte so his electrolytes stay in balance. Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to keep his glucose levels up. Monitor his temperature. It should be between 101-102.5F. You want to keep her warm so if it starts dropping, cover her with a blanket. If need be, warm dry towels on the belly can help. She likely is past the point where he needs supportive care though since it has been so many days. But she may have or still be experiencing some of the effects of the marijuana.

Now a dog who has a corneal abrassion will often look up and be scared because they keep seeing something to the corner or above them due to a spot on the eye but they can never actually see it as it moves with the eye. This can make them look a little scared and jerk suddenly as they try and "see" the think on the edge of their vision. The only way to rule this out is with a vet visit. From the sounds of things though it does seem a lot like marijuana intoxication. If it continues beyond another day I would have her seen and her eyes checked.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Ok so first of all, my dog is a female, yet you continue to call her a male. In your first line of questioning you asked if SHE was SPAYED. I take great offense to this as your answers seem to be generated from other websites. Secondly, she isn’t having issue with hydration or hunger. So pedialyte and syrup are not recommended. She’s going in and out of these trances. And I don’t believe marijuana is the issue. I really wished you were actually paying attention to my responses. One would think that for $20 I’d actually get someone or something that pays attention to even the basics of my concern.