Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 year old chihuahua. Has CHF and has a high creatine…

Customer Question
My 14 year old chihuahua...
My 14 year old chihuahua. Has CHF and has a high creatine level. Her vet wanted Bella to have fluid daily for 5 days to help decrease her levels. Bella is my baby girl she is currently on lasix and vetmiten.
Bella had her first dose of fluid Saturday she was fine right after and had been eating regularly. That next morning about 2 am she starting hacking and coughing. The rest of the day she seemed not well her breathing was shallow and she would not eat although she would drink water. I had a ruff night worried about her breathing but she pulled though the night. I took her straight to the vet chest xray was done. My vet called me said she had no fluid build up and her CHF was moderate to sever. My concern is she not eating. It dose seem a lil better today just a lil. How can I get her to eat or what liquids could I give her that have some nutritional value. If she doesn’t eat by tomorrow my vet said I need to take her in to have fluid but that he would put less fluid in since her heart could. It tolerate it last time.this is concerning since she gotten worse since the last fluid treatment. Any suggestions help!
Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 17 days ago
Heath Wilkerson

This is a difficult combination with the CHF and elevated creatinine. What type of fluids is she being administered? The reason I ask is there are some that would be much less risky to use with concomitant CHF and renal disease and would give you and your vet more favorable results. For instance, I would not use Norm-R or NaCl. But, I would be inclined to use D5W since it will not have nearly as much effect on the heart.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 17 days ago

I know you are offline now, but you can hit me back here for updates or questions. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right-hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). You will still be able to respond here after you do this. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Not sure of the fluid administered. but they will not do this treatment since she got sick after and had shallow breathing. She still is breathing heavy she calm down for a bit and soon after I give her laxis she start all over again with the fast breathing. Her mouth is not open but you can see her abdomen expanding in and out fast. The Dr gave her IV lasix and she didn't respond well. I brought her home and vet said the give her anitbonitic every 12 hrs and and lasix 1/2 tab every 8 hours and we can see if this works. It has quite been 24 hours but she had a hard night last night and then was resting peacefully until I have her medication then she looked sick again and she will not eat. Im worried she is not eating has not eaten much in 24 hours is drinking eater regularly but no food should I give her baby food and syringe feed her a tiny bit, What are your thought>> Should I discontinue every thing and let her be. I wondering if she is in pain. She dose peek up when she see me and is not lethargic. But she is a week. Help My husband and I are devasted she was perfect saturday then she alll of a sudden she short of breath,.
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 16 days ago

It can take a few days and several trips to the vet to determine the exact dose of Lasix (and possibly Pimobendan and Enalapril) that will work best for her. The rule of thumb is that if she is breathing faster than 45 breaths per minute, then she most likely has fluid on her lungs, and so her vet will want you to give a bit more Lasix until her breaths are under 45 per minute. But she may still be able to be regulated with medications, it's hard to tell and every individual is a bit different, but keep trying until you and your vet find the right dose for her.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 15 days ago

Please hit me back here for updates or questions. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to click “RATE EXPERT TO FINISH” to accept an answer in the top right-hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). You will still be able to respond here after you do this. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson