Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old Yorker, that weighs about 18 pounds snatched…

Customer Question
My 10 year old...

My 10 year old Yorker, that weighs about 18 pounds snatched one of my progesterone 200 mg pills that I dropped on acciuand ate it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Deuce 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Deuce

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he ate the progesterone?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

It’s been about an hour. Yes
He’s lethargic.

Did the lethargy start after taking the progesterone?

about 15 min ago or so

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, if he is lethargic I would not induce vomiting; the progesterone has been absorbed and it will not help to make him vomit. Plus, we run the risk of causing an aspiration pneumonia. At this point, unfortunately, there is not much you can do at home, I am sorry. I don't believe this will be fatal for your puppy, but, he will require the supportive care by a veterinarian of IV fluids, etc. I would recommend having him checked by ER veterinarian for supportive care.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter