Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Westie, Diego was diagnosed with TCC in June of last

Customer Question
My Westie, Diego was...

My Westie, Diego was diagnosed with TCC in June of last year. I opted to not do the Chemo/peroxicam or Radiation/peroxicam. I changed to a holistic vet, who has him on a High protein, High fat diet consisting of raw beef, lightly cooked chic***** *****ver, two types of Chinese herbs, one of them being Yunnan baiyao, (supposed to stop bleeding). after consulting with the Vet, I added Marijuana oil and mushrooms. He also gets steamed dark green veggies. He keeps urinating well. He has a big appetite and has good energy ( he will be `12yrs old in May). My question (my vet is on vacation) is he getting dark stools and is constipated what can I get for the constipation. The dark stools change. sometimes really dark, other times not. As soon as the D

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No. I wonder if I should continue to give him milk thistle to protect the liver, since he takes that peroxicam medication.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jaime, Dog Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime, Dog Veterinarian
I would continue the milk thistle and yunnan baiyao but speak with the doctor who diagnosed the TCC about running an occult fecal blood test.
I would also have a CbC checked to look for anemia from GI bleeding, your dog may need some gastroprotectants for GI ulcers with intermittent black tarry stool.
The constipation could be related to possible ulcers so I recommend a call to the vet who diagnosed peroxicam. You can also try some canned pumpkin for the constipation but the intermittent dark stool is quite worrisome and needs to be addressed asap.
If you have further questions please let me know what other questions you have or what else I can do to help. If not, could you please issue a rating? Thank you.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jaime, Dog Veterinarian replied 20 days ago
Hello, just checking in to see if you have been able to see my response and if you have any further questions?
Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime, Dog Veterinarian