Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hallo. Have an Aussie. 7 months old. I think she swallowed a…

Customer Question
Hallo. Have an...

Hallo. Have an Aussie. 7 months old. I think she swallowed a marble.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Brie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brie?

No. She is healthy and beautiful.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Depending on your dogs size this is a potential foreign body obstruction so I would advise inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the marble please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 2-3 pieces of bread

- Take a nice walk to help move the marble through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

- Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own if there is no initial vomiting with the peroxide.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

i do not have bread in house. Will rice work? Must it be cooked, if rice is okayu

Yes that should be fine, white rice cooked 1 cup

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am going to be signing off for a dinner break in a few moments unless there is anything else I can assist with?

Okay

Is there anything else I can assist with today?

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!