Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a scab on her back and seems to be getting

Customer Question
Hi...My dog has a...

Hi...My dog has a scab on her back and seems to be getting larger. She flinches when we tried to cut the hair by it..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

Not at all. I think it's a scab because the other day -- when I tried to look at it the skin looked open under the scab. Like when you lift a scab.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is your dog's name and age?

Sammy -- she is 8. Yellow Lab.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?

She does seem in the last year to have more anxiety then previously. I think I already pay for this service.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jaime, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, is Sammy around any other animals? Is the scabbed area warm, a bump or fluid filled? Can you check her temperature?
Does she have a history or allergies or hot spots?
She is around 2 cats - it's a dry scab (no fluid). Allergies -- twice a year she gets ear infections - spring and fall. Do you need a special thermometer? I don't have a pet one.
No hot spots.
You don’t need a special thermometer, just a digital one. If not soft and squishy and no fever it is less likely to be an abscess. She could have an acute moist dermatitis (aka hot spot) and cleaning the area of fur with a clipper is often required, then sometimes compresses for itching and oral antibiotics are sometimes needed to resolve the issue. It is also possible it could be ringworm. Any other members in home have any ringworm previously?
Any clear photos of the area?
Hello, just checking in to see if you have been able to see my response and if you have any further questions?