Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We saw some tapeworm segments in her stool along with

Customer Question
We saw some tapeworm...

We saw some tapeworm segments in her stool along with weightless. We gave her a dewormer and she has lost more weight and has bright red blood in her poop.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is a 4 year old chihuahua.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Josie?

She did not eat very much after the first few days after the dewormer. She would try but she would throw up. Today she is eating but her stool is bright red and she has blood on her tail. She is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Josie?

No, her pep is better today so I thought she was on the mend.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Josie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Can you tell me the name of the dewormer that you gave her?

Can you describe what the tapeworm segments looked like?

Has Josie had a stool sample analysis performed to look for evidence of other intestinal parasites besides tapeworms?

I used safeguard canine dewormer for small dogs
She had a reguLr checkup in January and they gave her a dewormer then and her stool sample came back clear.
The tape worm segments looked like little whiteish squares in her stool. She also had start d losing weight....we weren’t concerned about this at first because she was heavy but then she started looking really thin so I started checking her stool.

I am sorry but I had logged off before your reply yesterday.

Those certainly do sound like tapeworm segments that you are describing. There are two forms of tapeworms that dogs can get. One occurs after a dog ingests a flea carrying a tapeworm egg, the second occurs after a dog ingests a rabbit (or the intestines of a rabbit). The dewormer that you gave will only treat the tapeworm that is produced after rabbit ingestion (taenia pisiformis). If his tapeworm infection is due to ingestion of fleas (more common) than a different medication called praziquantal needs to be administered. Here is a link with more information about the two types of tapeworms.

LINK HERE

LINK HERE

You are lucky that you noted the segments in the stool because a stool sample analysis done by the vet will not always pick up on that if the tapeworm does not happen to be shedding segments that day. Tapeworms can lead to weight loss, but not usually that severe so I am concerned that there may be more going on. It would be prudent to have Josie examined by your vet to make sure.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz