Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is 14yrs old she can't seem to control her bladder it's…

Customer Question
She is 14yrs old...

She is 14yrs old she can't seem to control her bladder it's happened a few times in the last week this morning it happened again and she was just lying in the p then she went and tried to stand up but it seems as though her back legs are paralyzed and then she peed on herself again and won t eat and is breathing heavy kind of is she dying?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 3 months ago
Maite Cintron

Hello and welcome! I am Dr. Cintron, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 3 months ago

Is she able to move her back legs at all? What breed is your dog?

No she cannot move her back legs at all.
She is a Catahoula
Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 3 months ago

This sounds like it might be a herniated disc. They can lose control of their bladder and they will be paralyzed. Sometimes they can be in pain. Does she seem in pain right now?

Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 3 months ago

Sometimes bad arthritis in the hips can cause similar signs, but they will not be paralyzed, just weakness in the hind legs.

Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 3 months ago

The breathing heavy can be because she is in pain/uncomfortable.

She is a catahoula and she cannot move her back legs
Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 3 months ago

As I mentioned, this sounds like a herniated disc and your dog needs to be seen immediately. Surgery is an option if this is addressed quickly. If you do not wish to pursue surgery, she will definitely benefit from pain medication to keep her comfortable.