Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has an elevated alt of 213 and alp of 2091. His a 12 yr…

Customer Question
He has an elevated...

He has an elevated alt of 213 and alp of 2091. His a 12 yr old dachshund

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Does not act too different sleeps a lot , drinks more but has a healthy appetite and acts as usual

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

He is over weight,barks a lot and never snaps and is fully house trained with nary an accident

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 24 days ago
Maite Cintron

Hello and welcome! I am Dr. Cintron, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 24 days ago

What issues can I help you address today?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I would like to know why this is elevated in Max and what can be done about it.
Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 24 days ago

ALT and ALP are liver enzymes. In a 12 year old dog, the main causes for this elevation are Cushing's disease (cortisol elevation in the body, sometimes increased water consumption is a sign), liver tumor/mass (could be benign or malignant) or sometimes this elevation can be normal in older dogs due to changes that occur in the liver as they age. The best test to try and determine which of these is the cause is an abdominal ultrasound. There is also a blood test to check for Cushings disease (dexamethasone suppression test or acth stimulation test). It would not be a bad idea for your pet to start a liver supplement such as denamarin to protect the liver.

Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 24 days ago

Does this help answer your question? Is there anything else you would like to address?

Dog Veterinarian: Maite Cintron,
 replied 23 days ago

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided the information you were seeking. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian