Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is throwing up and pooping blood is it that because…

Customer Question
Hi my dog is...

Hi my dog is throwing up and pooping blood is it that because we swicthed her food to fast? she is a 10 week pup.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

She sometimes eats my 2yr old dogs food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Reesie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reesie?

She pooping BLOOD just please tell me why

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Reesie is vomiting and defecating blood.

1. How long has this been going on?
  2. Has she had any vaccines?
  3. Is she lethargic?
  4. Is she running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?

She is likely dehydrated because she is vomiting and has diarrhea, but if every time she drinks she vomits you need to take it away from her for now.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, another dog's food, a very abrupt diet change, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

But I would not expect pure blood stools from a a simple diet change, and if she is lethargic too then I am very concerned.

More serious causes of vomiting in puppies include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.

In a young dog, especially one that hasn't finished her vaccine series, a viral infection such as Parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely causes of her symproms and both can be deadly. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response. Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause vomiting and lethargy.

Because she is young, and she is vomiting with pure blood stools, especially if she is lethargic, ideally she would see a veterinarian now. Young puppies dehydrate easily and she needs fluids.

If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if she isn't responding quickly she should see a veterinarian promptly.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and either one may help her feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 6 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into her. If he refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both or is still vomiting then she needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.

But if things go well and she does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular puppy food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if she refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Even if she feels better it is well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasites are very common in puppies. Parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Why does she have diherra

Both diarrhea and vomiting can be caused by the same things, in her case at her age I would be very worried about a viral or bacterial infection or a gastrointestinal foreign body/blockage.