Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my 1 year old dog is pregnant and I am very

Customer Question
I think my 1...

I think my 1 year old dog is pregnant and I am very concerned for her health and well being ans well as the puppies. Am thinking that morning after pill might be an option but she is a breeding bitch and I don't want to risk permanent injury.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

She is very healthy, just young.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 20 days ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your dog is pregnant so young. What morning after pill are you thinking of?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Don't know but looks like there is only one that may do the least harm. glutocorticoid, I think.

Steroids can be tried; given daily until there is an abortion. There are side effects with this drug, as with all drugs. How long as she been pregnant?

You can try a large dose of hormones, the "morning after" shot if this happened in the last 48 hours. This does run a risk of side effects: not working, interrupting normal heat cycles for awhile, and a small rick of a uterine infection called a pyrometra.

There are other options such as cabergoline that probably have the least amount of side effects. You would need to see a veterinarian to get any of these medications.

More research: the drugs least likely to cause side effects are Mifeprex or Alizine.

Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 19 days ago

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my responses. Please let me know if this was helpful and if you have other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian