Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Rocky doberman pinscher 11 years old two weeks ago he…

Customer Question
My Rocky doberman pinscher...

My Rocky doberman pinscher 11 years old two weeks ago he split his back legs walking on my tiles he is got sprain ligament and bad back doctors treated him with cortizone and tramadol plus gabapectin he is no improvement, help what can i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. they told me to put him to sleep but he's heart, kidneys and liver are fine. plus i don't want to give up yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Doberman Pinscher's name?

Rocky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

He is over weight, but up to a week ago he would walk with me every night,

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 22 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has Rocky had any x-rays since the accident on the tile?

Has your vet rechecked him yet?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
they told me he got a torn ligament and arthritis in spine really bad plus some calsion built up which broke on his spine they told he had a 50% chance but someone also mention later or acupuncture?

Has Rocky had any x-rays since the accident on the tile? Is that how they diagnosed the arthritis?

Laser and acupuncture may be an option, but typically those dogs are have improved some with medical care. If he's painful and non-responsive to the steroids and pain medication, both of these may not yield pain relief either. I can certainly look in your area to see if those options exist near you. I'll need your city and state.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Would a leg brace help his back leg is the one with a torn ligament?

It looks like you and I are sending texts at the same time and you're not seeing mine. Here's the last one that I sent. Can you answer the attached questions?

Did they tell you where the torn ligament was?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
he had Xray it shows severe arthritis and back leg torn ligament but his pain is still there with all medications I am in Miami Florida 33187

I was able to find one vet in your area that does both acupuncture AND laser therapy: http://www.crossroadspetvet.com/Laser-Therapy.html and http://www.crossroadspetvet.com/Acupuncture.html

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
In your expert opinion you think this will help Rocky with the pain?

I'm concerned that it will not. If he truly has ligament damage and calcification of the spine that has not responded to conventional treatment, my gut feeling is that he won't respond to the laser and acupuncture therapy well. I do think it's worth trying for good measure, but I am concerned that it may not be the solution you're hoping for. As far as a brace, if he had problems with just one leg (a knee, for example) and could easily walk otherwise a brace might be a consideration. If he's having problems getting his legs under him and keeping them there, a brace is likely to not help (or even hinder).

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 21 days ago

Good morning, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have regarding their care? ​

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 19 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse