Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She seems to be rubbing her paw over her right ear and

Customer Question
She seems to be...

She seems to be rubbing her paw over her right ear and shaking her head. She’s seems to be very uncomfortable. She slants her head to one side when walking, then shaking again. I tried looking in but do not see anything visible. Can I medicate at home?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I don’t see anything on her foot, she just keeps licking her right back paw then passing over her right ear

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Jessie 8years old about 70lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jessie?

70lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jessie?

It’s hard taking her to a veterinarian, she’s a frightened type dog and doesn’t far well with anyone touching her

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr G and I can help you out with Jessie.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok thank u! Maybe something can be prescribed for her or a home remedy?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I’d rather write if that’s ok with u
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I gave u all the necessary information

Just a minute as I am typing a lengthy response. More info is coming in a minute. :)

It does sound like jessie might have an ear infection. This is not something you can treat and cure at home without meds.

Options:

1) if a dog is fearful of the vet, find a vet who practices Fear Free and has their certification. These vets and whole clinic work hard to keep your dog calm and less afraid during a visit. Or you can use a house call vet that comes right to your house.

2) Use Adaptil spray (a calming pheromone you can get from your vet) on a bandanna before you go go to the vet. Use T-Away, a Yong Living Essential oil just for pets for helping to calm during the visit and reduce fear.

3) Have your vet prescribe Trazodone, a great fear reducer and lightly sedating med that is very safe. A dose given 2 hours before your visit can make a huge difference. This will really help!!

4) If your vet is familiar with your dog, they might let you bring cotton swabs in that you took from the ear at home (go deep enough to get a good amount of debris on the Qtip). Do not do this if you think the dog might bite you. But, some vets will let you bring Qtips in for testing of the debris to know what med to use. They can't just prescribe a med as infections vary.

You can try using an ear cleaner to flush the ear out as this may provide some relief, but it will not cure an infection if one is there. Also, you do not want to clean the ear right before you go to the vet or try to swab the ears as this may mask what the infection truly looks like.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Don’t know if this makes a difference but I started a few days ago giving Jessie Extend joint care in her food once a day, would that have any bearing?

I doubt that it would, but if it has an ingredient she is allergic to, it could cause some itching.

Is there debris in the ear? Is the ear red? If you swab it, is there debris/junk on the Qtip?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I haven’t done so with a swab, but to look, it seems clear from what she is allowing me to see. I will try to swab

Let me know if anything is on the swab at all or if as you rub the ear it sounds "squishy" inside.

Were you able to check a swab? I have otehr suggestions depending on whether there was a lot of junk on the swab or now.

Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian