Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

DR DEB ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY…PLEASE- NO ONE ELSE ANSWER THIS…

DR DEB ONLY ONLY ONLY...
DR DEB ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY…PLEASE- NO ONE ELSE ANSWER THIS QUESTION:Hello Deb…It has been awhile and I hope all is well. How are your 4-dogs doing…is Meara still doing well?Amy just turned 6 and is doing well…except her teeth/gums.I woke up with the flu yesterday morning feeling much better this morning….so my sister has been helpful in trying to help me to Research Amy’s teeth/Gum problems yesterday.It has been concluded by a Vet that Amy is perfectly healthy except for bad Teeth/Gum Genes. Not a perfect Universe.Two days ago I noticed one of her front bottom teeth was extremely loose (Very thin, Crowded area) barely hanging on by a thread, moving back and forth (Very Loose). I called emergency dog clinic and they stated it wasn’t an emergency and that if she swallows the tooth it will pass through her easily. (Vets Doctors were closed for Easter)Questions:
A. I do not want to but the dog under anesthesia for just pulling one tooth. I’m going to try and see if a Vet Doctor is willing to give a shot to numb the pain and pull the tooth while I hold Amy’s mouth open. The front tooth is very thin, just hanging there by a threat…moves back and forth…how deep does the front tooth root actually go into the gum? Do you see any problem in doing this? Or should I just let the tooth fall out on its own?
B. I need to increase the dog’s daily teeth care. I will continue Amy’s daily brushing, using GUM go-between cleaners daily to remove food particles and scraping every 3-months. My sister found these products on line with good reviews on Amazon.com; so in Addition I will now;
1. First apply Oratene Antiseptic Oral Care Gel and Gingivitis (AMAZON) 1 oz by Zymox. (This will help prevent plaque buildup) Ingredients: Aloe Vera, Dextrose, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Polyglycitol, Potassium Iodide, Sorbitol AND Natural Enzymes: Glucose Oxidase, Lactoferrin, Lactoperoxidase, Lysozyme.
2. Then Apply Dentahex Oral Rinse with an ingredient of Chlorhexidine 0.12% with zi (Amazon). (This will immediately work on the current periodontal Disease). I do not follow the instructions since they state to pour the liquid into the mouth region and of course some would be swallowed. I’m using Cotton Swabs applied right on the gum line and teeth preventing the swallowing.
3. QUESTION: Applying these two products daily will not conflict with each other and cause further problem?
C. A vet Doctor stated that there used to be a shot given to dogs that would clear up any problems under the gums (Periodontal Disease) but the Manufacture has closed down. Now the only way to fight periodontal disease is to do a teeth cleaning for dogs. Do you know of any product anywhere in the world that will accomplish this by giving a shot or and other remedy?
D. If you remember; I’ve been using Doctors Foster and Smith Dental Clens pads with ingredients of 0.1% Chlorhexidine Gluconote. It appears Dentahex Oral Rinse applied with Cotton Swabs really goes into the teeth and gums much better…just started this product yesterday. I’m assuming the previously Clens Pads pads must not be given since that would be too much Chlorhexidine?
E. I have antibiotics capsule Clindamycin (gen) 150 mg cap dispmed, Quantity 28, give every 12 hours for 14 days. Expires 4/1/2019. I think it might be good to give them now. The last time we decided not to give them just in case they would upset her stomach… because of her history…I think because the tooth is going to come out; it would be necessary to start the Antibiotics.Thank You Deb! As Always,
4/2/2018
Camille-Mod
I'm Camille, and I'm a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Best,
Camille - Moderator
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, John.

It's good to hear from you as always. Unfortunately, I love my beloved Meara last year in October. She had been doing so well but was clearly failing. She passed in her sleep the day before I was going to euthanize her, thus saving me the pain and guilt of making that decision. I had her 2.5 years longer than I ever thought I would and each day was a blessing.

My other three are doing well; in fact, one of them is expecting puppies at the end of this week. I'm equal part terrified and excited! Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well.

So sorry to hear that you've been sick especially with the flu...which is certainly nothing to be too casual about these days ...but glad you seem to be feeling better. And, also sorry to hear that Amy is one of those dogs with chronic dental issues although, as you noted, the universe is definitely not perfect!

I just wanted to touch base and let you know that I've received your questions; my next reply will address them. Deb

To address your questions:

A. I frequently pull incisors that are barely holding on and I don't sedate my patients to do so. The root on these teeth is very short and they typically are removed with one quick pull. The patient doesn't appear to experience any pain either or at least if they do, it's quite transitory.

If you did decide to leave it alone, it will likely fall out on its own during a meal but I typically like to remove them since they're likely to be uncomfortable wiggling back and forth.

B. Just a note from personal experience. While plaque and tartar buildup does certainly cause periodontal disease and tooth loss, I'd also want to add potential trauma to the list when incisors are involved. Playing tug-of-war, for example, or some sort of trauma to the mouth can cause these teeth to loosen since they aren't are deeply seated in the bone like the other teeth are.

1 and 2: I like the Zymox products and frequently advise them for a variety of problems.

3. Applying these two products daily will not conflict with each other and cause further problem? It should be fine to use them together especially since you're applying the rinse with a cotton swab. I wouldn't want to apply it as directed on the label either for the reason you stated.

C. The following link is the vaccine the vet was probably referencing and, yes, it was discontinued: https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/update-pfizer-discontinues-periodontitis-vaccine/

I'm not aware of any vaccine or injection that's currently available that would address periodontal disease in dogs; I double checked a veterinary-based website that I use to research any possible current products about which I'm unfamiliar and didn't find anything. There were references to the discontinued Pfizer vaccine but nothing new.

There appears to be a vaccine being developed for humans but I don't know if clinical trials will involve canine patients: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161205113748.htm

D. I’m assuming the previously Clens Pads pads must not be given since that would be too much Chlorhexidine? I agree that either one or the other product should be used, not both, since they contain the same ingredient.

E. I don't typically dispense antibiotics after I extract a loose incisor that's barely hanging on unless the mouth is a real mess in terms of periodontal disease. But, if there's signs of infection (such as pus or swelling along the gum line) , then it might be prudent to start Clindamycin now.

Deb

To address your questions:

A. I frequently pull incisors that are barely attached and I don't sedate my patients to do so. The root on these teeth is very short and they typically are removed with one quick pull. The patient doesn't appear to experience any pain either or at least if they do, it's quite transitory.

Deb

Hi Deb…I’m so heart-broken to hear about Meara…I know how hard you fought for her extra 2.5 years of extra life....using all your Vet. Education/Experience. It appears Meara decided to let go because she knew you had to euthanize her and wanted to spare you pain and guilt. You both were/are very lucky to have each other all those years…you will meet again.It’s good to hear the other three are doing well. YES, my fingers are crossed…I’m sure all will go well. Keep me posted.GREAT….your statement to just pull incisors that are barely holding on and I don’t Sedate…MADE MY YEAR. OH MY GOSH…SUCH GOOD NEWS.There are no signs of infection (pus or swelling along the gum line)…I will hold off on using Clindamycin.Your Reply this morning gave me the ability relax/breathe again …my mind starts to think of everything…and without your support today and historically; WELL…I don’t know what I would have done.I don’t know how to re-pay you for this PEACE OF MIND…Can we keep this open for 1-more day?Thank You as Always…Talk Real Soon,

John,

Thanks for your kind words about Meara. She was a miraculous dog in so many ways and I was truly blessed to have her in my life for as long as I did.

Glad that I could pretty much validate your instincts about removing this incisor without sedation; sometimes, the simple, common-sense solutions work just fine. I probably should have mentioned that I've had a few of these teeth that weren't quite as loose as I thought they were; in those cases, I still don't sedate right away but I'll wait for a few days and try again. I can't remember every having to sedate my patients for a loose incisor unless there were other teeth which needed to be extracted or the patient needed a cleaning of all their teeth; then, I remove the incisor at that time. Obviously, other vets may practice differently but I've never had any issues.

I do know that you tend to go to the dark place when it comes to your pets which is something that I tend to do as well. But, glad that I could bring you back to the light so that you didn't sink too deep...at least not this time anyway:)

You can keep this page open as long as you want; you never need to ask although I appreciate that you're gentlemanly enough to do so. And, I'll definitely keep you posted about the puppies; they're kicking and moving like they're having a party in there!

Deb

Hi Deb,
Found a Vet who went right along and pulled the incisor…the incisor right next to it also had to be pulled. It looks so much better now; the two incisors were so connected to each other…she seems more comfortable. There was bleeding for about 60 seconds and then it stopped. He said there was no pus and everything looked normal. As a result of your posting this morning; gave me knowledge that the incisor was going to be pulled without question, you set the stage.The 2-incisors were tiny; total length is about ½ inch long, root went down about ¼ inch and the width is 1/8 inch wide.Here is the big question; the Vet wants her to take clindamycin (gen) 150mg capsule 2 times a day for 7 days…he was concerned regarding it getting any infection while healing. I just went along and figured I will discuss with you, especially since you know her history of stomach issues????I mentioned Oratene Antiseptic Oral Care Gel which has an ingredient called Sorbitol…does this cause diarrhea?He mentioned there was an old dog that had lots of tartar, but was too old for anesthesia. He used a product call epic which really helped, have you heard or used it before?Kicking and moving like they’re having a party in there…got me smiling and laughing!Thank You as Always…Talk Soon,

John,

Good job about having the teeth pulled with a minimum of muss and fuss, as they say:)

I don't like to disagree with fellow professionals but having said that if there was no evidence of infection where the teeth were located, it's not my experience that it will develop after the teeth are gone. At my hospital, we rarely dispense antibiotics after teeth are extracted....loose or otherwise...and the patients do just fine. I might be tempted to forego Clindamycin for now but recognize that it can always be given if it looks as if infection is developing.

Sorbitol is a low calorie sweetener and probably added to make the product taste better so that the patient will more readily accept it. I suppose it's always possible that it might trigger diarrhea for some dogs but there's not likely to be a large enough amount to pose issues for the majority of them.

I'm not familiar with epic and I couldn't find anything about it in my vet database. This doesn't mean that it's not an excellent product, though.

Glad I could make you smile; the puppies at this stage make me smile, too. It's the calm, peaceful interlude prior to the anxiety of delivery and the sleepless nights thereafter (if I'm lucky since this will mean there are babies to help care for).

Chat soon, Deb

Hi Deb, Amy is doing Great …Thanks to “You”…NO RUSH on the 5-questions below regarding daily maintenance. .I added 1-more product for the daily maintenance; I gathered all the information and ingredients below so you could just analyze for the 5-questions.The plan is to use 2-products for Amy’s Daily Maintenance. I just added the second product.
PRODUCT 1 DAILY MAINTENANCE: Dentahex Oral Rinse
1. Ingredients: Approved by You yesterday-Dentahex Oral Rinse with an ingredient of Chlorhexidine 0.12% with zi. Inactive Ingredients: Flavor FD&C BIue #1 FD&C Yekki #5 Glycerin, Poloxamer 407, SE Alcolol 388, Sorbitol, Water.
2. Description: Reduces Plaque; provides anti-plaque and anti-calculus properties thus aiding in prevention of periodontal issues.
PRODUCT 2 DAILY MAINTENANCE: Oratene Veterinarian Maintenance Gel (New Name is*****) for daily maintenance.
3. Ingredients: Glyceryl Methacrylate, Polyglycitol, Sorbitol, Cellulose Gum, Dextrose, Mutanase, Lactoperoxidase, Lysozyme, Lactoferrin, Glucose Oxidase, Potassium Thiocyanate
Aloe Vera Dextranase
4. Description: Toothpaste Gel 2.5 oz. Toothpaste Gel is a clear gel form which provides maximum enzyme contact to inhibit harmful odor-causing bacteria and remove plaque biofilm. Gentle formulation relieves, soothes, and protects mouth tissue against dryness. Ideal for cats who don’t drink much water.
QUESTIONS:
1. The daily use of both products (Ingredients) will not cause harm?
2. The daily use of both products (Ingredients) will complement each other.
3. If using these products more than twice a day, is there any ingredients like Sorbitol being used several times a day; some might be swallowed causing diarrhea?
4. Oratene Maintenance Gel will replace current tooth-past Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste?You approved Yesterday to be used 7-DAYS ONLY…arriving today. First apply Oratene Antiseptic Oral Care Gel and Gingivitis (AMAZON) 1 oz by Zymox. (This will help prevent plaque buildup)
1. Ingredients: Aloe Vera, Dextrose, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Polyglycitol, Potassium Iodide, Sorbitol AND Natural Enzymes: Glucose Oxidase, Lactoferrin, Lactoperoxidase, Lysozyme.
2. Description:
A. For Serious Oral Care Conditions
B. Recommended for serious oral conditions such as periodontal disease, stomatitis, gingivitis, red inflamed gums and ulcerations
C. Soothes and relieves inflamed gums and tissues
D. Contains the most potent enzyme formula available in our oral care line
E. Mildly sweet, non-bitter flavor
F. Readily accepted by cats and dogs
G. Safe and gentle on sensitive, irritated mouths
H. Does not cause salivation
I. Preferred chlorhexidine replacement
J. Apply 1/2" strip to upper and lower gums twice daily, preferably after meals. Continue use for 5-7 days. If condition worsens or doesn’t improve, seek veterinary care to determine if there is an underlying issue
QUESTION:
1. The reason to use this product for only 7 days is because it kills good bacteria. I get concerned about killing good bacteria? The gums are starting to look pink this morning…just 1 or 2 areas are taking longer. Should I just used for a few days and see how the gums improve instead of 7-days?Deb…you are very fortunate to experience the Joy and Love of every stage of babies/puppies; bringing them all into the world…even the anxiety of delivery and sleepless nights. This is your particular Joy which is part of your passion.I believe we are about to finish this session today….I will open a new session just to hear a daily 1-line update on the delivery of the puppies…since I have a passion for animals; this is better than any movie.Thank You Deb…Talk Soon,
Vince

John,

Well, I don't know if I should take credit for Amy doing so well since I suspect you and your vet had something to do with it but I'll take it anyway:)))

1. The daily use of both products (Ingredients) will not cause harm? I don't see how they could.

2. The daily use of both products (Ingredients) will complement each other. That's my understanding as to how they work.

3. If using these products more than twice a day, is there any ingredients like Sorbitol being used several times a day; some might be swallowed causing diarrhea? Well, any ingredients that a dog swallows which doesn't agree with them has the potential to cause diarrhea but in most cases, such a small amount is ingested, that it's not a problem. This is a situation where you won't know if they'll be tolerated until or unless you try them.

4. Oratene Maintenance Gel will replace current tooth-past Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste? I wouldn't discontinue brushing if I were you but, rather, I'd use the gel as an additional product....possibly use it last so that it remains in contact with her teeth longer.

5. The reason to use this product for only 7 days is because it kills good bacteria. As I understand it, the product is supposed to kill "bad or harmful" bacteria, not "good". But, regardless, there's no way that we can entirely eliminate bacteria in the mouth forever...bad or good.

Should I just used for a few days and see how the gums improve instead of 7-days? That's not a bad idea since her mouth doesn't sound really bad; she may not need the full 5-7 day treatment.

Your inspirational words about the impending delivery of puppies is just what I needed to hear as we're getting closer to the "event". I'm also glad that I can provide a degree of "entertainment" for you:) Please don't open a new session since you're always so generous unless it's just easier for you; we can continue to communicate on this posting.

Since you strike me as someone who enjoys learning new things, I'm sharing a link to a service that I'm using for this pregnancy. It provides a degree of objective data rather than just making assumptions about what's going on in her body: http://whelpwise.com/testing/whelp-wise-service.html

Modern technology is a wonderful thing:)

Deb

PS. I have to ask: Is "Vince" a nickname? (see the name you typed at the end of your last post)

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hello Deb...Yes, you do get all the Credit for Amy and Me doing so Well (1) Gave me instant peace of mind…worth a million dollars (2) You gave me knowledge in how easy removing the incisors is, which set the plan/stage/presentation to be more direct in what I want done. My sister stated her phone calls to Vets required anesthesia for the Removal. I would have mistakenly used an antibiotic…etc.Brit and I Appreciate your help in selecting a daily Maintenance Plan. I would be lost without you!!!It’s going to be fun to be able to read your whelp wise service link this evening…this will be interesting…I will Finally learn more about how all my dogs came to be!No…Vince is not a Nickname. I have been dealing with my personal Attorneys regarding a Family Trust (Yearly Changes) for the past 24 hours; seems like it was set up 1,000 years ago. The Legal Structure has my middle name as the Center of the Universe. I will be done today…and I will become John Again.Yes, I Enjoy learning new things…which is not learning new Business things anymore…more like Astronomy, dog Pregnancy and just looking at Trees, Ocean and Animals; thinking about nothing in particular.I’m closing out this session and look forward to read your 1-line updates on the delivery of New Puppies here.Thank You as Always…Talk Soon

John, (aka Vince on occasion),

As always, I'm extremely appreciative for your generosity:)

I, too, enjoy learning new things...or certain new things anyway...to help keep my mind sharp; some days it seems I've forgotten more than I ever knew so I'm trying to prevent more leakage from the brain cells I have left! But, there's also something to be said for just enjoying the moment as you've indicated.

I'll definitely keep you posted as things progress; right now I'm in the "hurry up and wait" phase it seems like.

As always, Deb

Good Morning Deb,
How are all the puppies doing…must be getting close. Just going through the supply section at whelp-wise is overwhelming. The Whelpwise.com showing the puppy gallery with the mothers is Wonderful…what are the mothers thinking? I believe there is an Irish Setter with puppies…was one of my long ago historical dogs. It must be an incredible experience to see the camaraderie between them after birth.
Thinking of You…Enjoy the Moment!

John,

Minimal contractions according to the Whelpwise uterine monitor. My target date is Friday although she could go into first stages of labor tomorrow.

Those puppies are members of some musical group that uses castanets and each one is trying to outdo the other. When Malina lays down and they're moving, it looks like aliens creatures under her skin:) It's actually sort of cool.

I never had children so I don't know what it feels like but when they kick, I have to imagine that it's a little uncomfortable although she seems to take it stride.

The love between the mom and their newborn pups is delightful although not all dogs are good at it....sort of like humans that way. In most cases though, the maternal hormones kick in and they do what needs to be done.

Thanks for checking in:) Deb

Good morning, John.

Just thought I'd share the day's updates about my girl. Her milk came in this morning which is, obviously, a good thing. In the past, my females had milk about a week before the puppies were to arrive but there's a great deal of variability about this. I wasn't terribly worried that she wouldn't have milk to feed her babies (it's fairly rare when they don't) but I'm glad this is one less thing I have to worry about.

Her temperature also dropped which is a somewhat imprecise method of determining the onset of labor but it typically means she should start the process in about 12-24 hours. The uterine monitoring system I'm using will be much more accurate.

Looks like we're on the home stretch as far as this part of the process is concerned:) Deb

Good morning, John.

Still no puppies yet but she's progressing. Didn't want to eat this morning which is highly unusual for this breed and she's also intermittently panting. Fetal heart rates are still strong.

Hopefully, it won't be too much longer. Deb

Good Morning Deb,
OK…Malina is getting ready to deliver new puppies on planet earth. What breed and how old is Malina? I wonder how many puppies she will deliver. How many times have you gone through this birth process?
I Appreciate and Enjoy the Updates.
Talk Soon,

Hi, John.

Malina is almost three years old and is a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (have you ever heard of this breed?).

She has at least 7 babies, possibly 8 based on x-ray and the heart beats that I'm able to find.

I've bred about a dozen times over a number of years; not a huge breeder, obviously, but that's not my goal. One of the hardest parts for me is finding good homes for the puppies. I have a friend in CT who is plugged into the swissy world more than I am so our arrangement is that I'll breed (and provide puppies) and she'll find the homes. Then we'll split the costs which works out well for us both.

Deb

Hello Deb,
I just looked up the breed on Google…such a beautiful dog…Temperament is just like a golden retriever; happy, enthusiastic nature and strong affinity to people and children. Does Manila have the tricolor; black, rust/tan and white?How does mothers react when each puppy finds a new home…do they try and look for the missing pup? It’s good that I’m not a breeder…I would have a hard time parting ways...I would work really hard to make sure each puppy would have the “Best Home” in the World. You are very lucky to be a Veterinary Doctor; bringing you closer to the Animal World.Amy is at the computer screen looking at the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog…she wants a sister.Exciting Update…Talk Soon,
Tell Malina i'm sorry for the misspelling of her name...
Hi Deb....AMY'S BLOOD TEST
Last week one Vet Dr. (Not the Vet who removed the Incisors teeth) took a blood test for Amy…my sister brought Amy to the Vet when I was sick….she sent the blood sample to an outside lab. I was just called by the vet and she said everything looks really Good; Except for Total Protein and Globulin was slightly high.The protein ready results was 7.5 and Adult Reference Range is 5.0-7.4 g/dlThe Globulin Results is 3.8 and Adult Reference Range of 1.6-3.6 g/dlQuestion:
1. The Dr. stated the Inflammation in the mouth is probably causing the slightly high reading and that the Antibiotics should resolve this. My thought is that the 2-loose incisor teeth being inflamed may have caused the slight elevation at that point in time; since they have been removed and everything looks much better?
2. I remember before removing the 2-incisors there was heavy saliva pouring from her mouth and after the Dr. pulled the Incisors, the heavy saliva pouring from her mouth went away…does that tell you anything?
3. What danger is not giving the antibiotics?
4. Should I give the Antibiotics?
5. There is no pus or any other signs.
6. The Vet who pulled the Incisors said there was no pus and the area looked good…he gave me antibiotics in case it got infected and we both agreed not to.Sorry for the interruption since I know you are in the middle of delivering puppies…Thank You as Always,
continued questions....Just thinking as always; when Amy’s gums goes through periods of being inflamed either by doing a teeth scraping or brushing too hard and then they go back to normal etc….can this cause the slight elevation of total protein and globulin?There is some degree of gingivitis in all dog’s teeth/gum area. Does this percentage degree of gingivitis cause a slight elevation in the protein/globulin blood test?
Thank You…John

John,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Malina (and she doesn't really care how you spell her name!!) needed a c-section this afternoon....4 females and 2 males. Everyone is doing really great but there's a lot to do when there's only one person doing it.

Tell Amy she deserves a sister whether it be a Greater Swiss or some other breed:)

All swissies are tricolored although the markings of each may vary a bit.

None of the females that I've bred seemed terribly sorry to see their babies leave although I'm always a basket case (I get pretty attached). Most moms love their babies but I think most are glad that the responsibility of taking care of them is over since it's a lot of hard work.

The goal if you bred is exactly my goal as well: finding the best puppy home for all of my babies.

As far as Amy's blood test results are concerned, let me preface my remarks by saying that not all values for a particular patient will fall within the stated reference range: some will be a little higher or a little lower and this is normal for that particular patient. But, having said that, I would agree with your vet that her very mildly elevated globulin value (and this is a very mild increase) could be (and most likely is) secondary to inflammation. Is the source of that inflammation her mouth? It's certainly possible but a transient or more chronic inflammatory episode of any sort might cause this value to be a little high.

The total protein value is a combination of both globulins and albumin; since her globulin is a little high, then this may be the reason that the total protein value is a little high if that makes sense. But, if she were my patient, I wouldn't be at all worried about these values since they are so very slightly higher than this lab's reference range.

Questions:

1. Antibiotics won't resolve inflammation...only infection. My thought is that the 2-loose incisor teeth being inflamed may have caused the slight elevation at that point in time; since they have been removed and everything looks much better? I think that's a reasonable assumption to make although as I stated above, these values may be normal for her.

2. ...does that tell you anything? It tells me that she may have been experiencing discomfort or pain perhaps more than you realized although I don't say this to make you feel guilty or worse than you probably already do.

3. What danger is not giving the antibiotics? I don't think there's any danger especially since there's no evidence of an infection. The trend in vet medicine with respect to the use of antibiotics is very similar to what's seen in human medicine: we are cautioned against the overuse of antibiotics since drug resistance has increased at an alarming rate and is a real concern. We may also alter intestinal flora and not in a good way.

Therefore, I try to ensure that any antibiotics that I dispense are dispensed for a very specific reason.

4 and 5. Should I give the Antibiotics? I can't tell you what to do but I wouldn't be encouraging their use if she were my patient and there's no evidence of an infection.

6. Makes sense to me.

7. Just thinking as always; when Amy’s gums goes through periods of being inflamed either by doing a teeth scraping or brushing too hard and then they go back to normal etc….can this cause the slight elevation of total protein and globulin? Possible but not likely, in my experience, especially if what you're describing is fairly transient in nature.

8. There is some degree of gingivitis in all dog’s teeth/gum area. Does this percentage degree of gingivitis cause a slight elevation in the protein/globulin blood test? Again, I suppose it could but that's not my experience either. For example, I've seen dogs with horrific periodontal disease and yet their globulins and total protein aren't elevated at all. When they are, I presume that what's going on in the mouth is the reason why. But, inflammation anywhere in the body...intestines or skin, for example...can cause an elevation.

No worries about the additional questions or any additional ones you might have but my schedule is obviously significantly altered over the next few weeks so I may not respond back to you as quickly as I normally do:) But, I'm sure you understand. Deb

Deb,
No need to be sorry…I did not even expect you to be here today. I appreciate all your answers…Thank You! I wasn’t too concerned about the lab test since Amy is doing so well and remembering some of our previous discussions.For any questions asked please take several days in answering the questions (NO RUSH)…It’s very important and top priority to take care of Malina, 4 females and 2 male puppies. Enjoy the Process…this moment even though it’s extremely time-consuming… is your passion and the beauty of life.How are Malina and the puppies doing? It must be Wonderful to see the puppy’s eyes first open and see and feel Life. Do they all sleep during the night? It must feel good knowing you brought 6 puppies into this world to start their incredible journey of living. I will not ask about the C-Section since the procedure sounds scary…Sorry for the Following Questions; it was highly unusual for Amy to have a Blood test and I didn’t understand why the test was taken. This was the morning I wasn’t feeling well and my sister took Amy to her Vet to look at the two loose incisors. I did not even follow-up and call the Vet for the results. Than to my surprise the Vet called me; which created a series of questions.Amy experiencing discomfort or pain prior to removing two incisors; I assume having puppies would be more of a discomfort… trying to offset my guilt if possible/allowed. If I ever see heavy saliva may indicate she is in pain? Amy was her normal self that morning; playing with other dogs and a Duck…I guess sometimes dogs do not show their pain?I asked this question before…since there is no evidence of infection, according to the Dr. who pulled her incisors…and there is no swelling or pus and her temperature is/was normal… I assume there would be some indications if there was an infection? I assume most dog owners would notice something visual and would rush to the vet and treat the area along with antibiotics at that point in time.I agree with you… since there is no evidence of infection there are no reasons to give the antibiotic. I believe the last 4-times visiting vets over the past year, they all prescribed an antibiotic for no particular direct evidence and I never used them…and Amy did just fine without them. I guess Vets still over prescribe antibiotics just like regular doctors.I keep receiving in the mail from a Medical facility in Newport Beach; for $2,000 they will do a complete body scan which will find a voluminous number of problems developing, currently and projected to develop in a person’s body. IMO –and there was some press reports…many people were doing medical procedures based upon the scan results that would probably not have any serious health issues during their lifetime. My point is and a Vet Dr. told me about a year ago regarding Amy’s teeth; be careful in doing excessive observations and searching and looking for answers trying to fight the normal aging process of dogs. I still will be pro-active and searching… trying not to pass that line of common sense.About 8 months ago I describe one side tooth showing some degree of gum loss…which I stated I could place a string between the tooth and the gum…just like people who has a bridge and flosses under their bridge….this is why I do extra tooth/gum care daily on her. I assume most dogs have some degree of Gum Shrinkage (depending on their tooth/gum genes) especially being 6-years old. The 1-tooth has been maintained by using Go-Between Brush Cleaners for the last 8 months and the gap has not widened. Now adding the additional daily maintenance of Oratene oral care and a 7 day Oratene antiseptic gel periodically when needed is all that could be done to slow down to some degree the progression of gum disease. Maybe if we could stop the aging process…OFF TOPIC…my alarm went off this morning with a talk show interview; Sandra Mendelson who wrote “We Walk Beside You” animal messages for an Awakening World. In my 5 minutes of waking up she described some unbelievable countless collaborations between humans and animals.AGAIN; Take as many days as you need…again there is NO RUSH.Thank You as Always…Enjoy the Moment,

Hi John,

I'm taking a moment from puppy patrol to log onto my computer so I'll take this opportunity to respond back to you since who knows when I'll get another chance:) Malina is being an incredible mom and making my job quite easy. I slept in the whelping box with them last night although "sleep" is a bit of a misnomer. She was still a little out of it from the surgery and medications that were given so I wanted to make sure that she wouldn't react negatively to them... and she hasn't which is wonderful. Puppies at this age are either sleeping or eating; when they're not doing the one, they're doing the other and the cycle repeats itself about every 2 hours or so.

The whole process is pretty miraculous when it goes as expected but there are still so many pitfalls along the journey that I must try and stay vigilant.

No worries about the additional questions.

I'm not sure why your vet would have run blood work either other than perhaps to get a baseline?

1. If I ever see heavy saliva may indicate she is in pain? Amy was her normal self that morning; playing with other dogs and a Duck…I guess sometimes dogs do not show their pain? Excessive salivation can be secondary to a number of different conditions with oral pain the most common one but nausea of any sort or anxiety can also produce it. And, yes, dogs can mask or hide their pain often better than we realize.

2. I assume there would be some indications if there was an infection? Yes. I'd expect possible decreased appetite or an odor from the mouth or swelling or possibly pus.

I assume most dog owners would notice something visual and would rush to the vet and treat the area along with antibiotics at that point in time. I would hope so if they're observant (although that's not a guarantee as you know!).

3. I guess Vets still over prescribe antibiotics just like regular doctors. Yes, some do and I've been guilty of it myself but I've tried to change my ways over the last dozen years or so.

4. I still will be pro-active and searching… trying not to pass that line of common sense. I concur. We won't find problems unless we look for them which is especially important in my patients but there's a limit to how much "searching" we should do...at least in my opinion.

5. Maybe if we could stop the aging process… Good luck with that and let me know if you're successful:)))

6. In my 5 minutes of waking up she described some unbelievable countless collaborations between humans and animals. I'm fascinated by these types of stories and never tire of hearing about them.

Off to help a puppy find a nipple since they don't all share equally:) Deb

Hi Deb…THIS WILL BE SHORT.
Amy’s Breath since being 1-year old has not been perfect…meaning my historical dogs there was no smell what-so-ever. Maybe she had a slight infection since being 1-year old or I also heard some dogs do have a slight order with their breath. Knowing this would you give the antibiotic?
Love it….you slept in the whelping box.
Thank You, John

John,

I don't have a terribly good sense of smell (which is actually probably a good thing considering my profession) but most dogs don't typically have much of an odor emanating from their mouths unless there's something going on in there. Even a small amount of tartar could cause gingivitis which, in turn, might cause a slight odor which is even more true for those patients who have a significant amount of periodontal disease present.

But, this new information doesn't change my opinion about giving her antibiotics since they won't be helpful unless a bacterial infection is present.

Sleeping in the whelping box may sound more appealing than it actually since these old bones don't tolerate long term contact with a floor (even if padded) like they used to:) Since Malina is being such a good mom, I may try sleeping on the air mattress next to the box tonight which will be a vast improvement.

Deb

Good Morning Deb,
How is Malina and the pups doing…I hope you got some sleep…air mattress???How did you come about choosing a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog…I know you are extremely busy….I very much Appreciate your Excellent Answers to all my question…never expected any answer for many days. Do you mind if we keep this session open for several more days??Thank You as Always,

Hi John:

I have the whelping box in my office so when things are quiet and the puppies are nursing, I can log onto my computer...which is very convenient.

The babies are quite robust and doing very well. Often there's a smaller one in the litter (the runt as people call them) but that's not the case with these six: they're all pretty equally matched in terms of size.

An air mattress actually worked pretty well last night; much better than the floor. I still wake up every hour or so to make sure that the babies are ok, that mom hasn't inadvertently squished one and that they're all nursing well. At least Malina has a good supply of milk so that I don't have to bottle feed them which is as time consuming as it sounds!

How did you come about choosing a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog… Probably about 30 or so years ago now, my husband at the time saw one at an Austrian castle where he was attending a conference. He fell in love and researched their availability here in the States. As it turned out, there weren't many breeders here (the breed almost died out) but there was one about 2 hours from where we lived. We were on a waiting list for 2 years before we finally got one and the rest is history as they say:)

Do you mind if we keep this session open for several more days?? Absolutely; that's fine.

Chat more soon, Deb

Hi Deb,
It is Great to hear the Puppies are doing well and everything is under perfect control; even though the entire process to me seems like playing 5-Dimensional Chess; dealing with many uncontrollable chess moves…your passion and particular joy!Swiss males = 140 pounds, Females are 110…they are large. Who is the father? I noticed they are involved in herding and weight pull events. They seem to have the same natural smile as a Golden Retriever. I assume most or all of your puppies are committed to someone already.Waiting 2-years before you finally got one…30-years later you still have the same breed; they must be a Special Breed.I may be traveling to Lake Tahoe Today…not sure.Talk Soon,

Hi John,

Yes, swissies are supposed to be large but not all of them are. Like many breeds, once they became AKC approved, they became a little more popular and as a result, size, conformation and temperament often suffered ...at least that's my opinion and what I've seen in other breeds.

My female is about 100 pounds so a little on the smaller side; Tucker, the father, is about 130.

They aren't a breed for everyone since they're smart and require a firm hand but, yes, I like them:) Herding is fun although I'm not so sure about the weight pulling since so much stress is placed on their bodies. This isn't something that I have any interest in doing.

I don't currently have any homes for these babies. I have a long time friend in Connecticut (I think I might have mentioned her before) that's heavily involved in the swissy world of showing and events and the national/local swissy club. Our arrangement is that I'll breed, she'll find potential homes (if I don't but I have to approve them) and we'll split the costs 50/50. This agreement should work out well for us both.

http://www.alastairgsmd.com/

I'm going to try and include pictures of Tucker and of Malina and her babies right after the c-section. Let me know if you can access them or not.

Hope your travel to Lake Tahoe is a good one if you do decide to go today. Deb

5d8b43f1-dd6d-4bfc-af6a-...jpg5d8b43f...jpg97e26ae3-5e3f-4383-9909-...jpg97e26ae...jpgd91b8374-0bf9-439f-92bd-...jpgd91b837...jpg2d5cc2a8-14da-4277-824e-...jpg2d5cc2a...jpg6c89880e-032f-481c-8ec3-...jpg6c89880...jpgd5194220-d73f-4a52-9676-...jpgd519422...jpg
Good Morning Deb,
I’m in South Lake Tahoe having some coffee looking at the Lake with Amy…we did some snowboarding yesterday which Amy just loves…she looks so funny with red snow boots. I like the summers better as I could ride my bike around the entire 72 mile Lake…about 22 miles long and 12 miles wide.OH MY GOSH! The pictures are Wonderful!
3-pups lying on top of Malina are so heart felt…they are experiencing their first moments on their long life journey. The next picture having Malina looking at the camera with the look-this wasn’t a Great Idea. Love the Picture of either Tucker/Malina face shot with that great smile.Belgian Tervurens also aren’t a breed for everyone; they’re smart, very independent, require much attention. I’m not sure if smart is a good thing…the beauty of having a dog is finally having a close relationship with someone who doesn’t ask penetrating questions…maybe it’s because my dogs are always female. There is Something Special about females; can’t put my finger on it…not sure if I want to.I’m assuming the puppies will go to their new homes at about 8 to 10 weeks of age? How many Females to you have available?I really Appreciate and Enjoyed all the Pictures…Thank You…Talk Soon,

John,

I'm green with envy hearing about your activities at Lake Tahoe; such a hard life you and Amy are experiencing:)

I'm more of a summer person myself since I like to garden and ride my bike but I don't have a beautiful lake to ride around, unfortunately.

I couldn't agree with you more about Belgian Tervurens; they can be pretty intense. The wheels are constantly turning in their heads which is not always a good thing. I had a friend a few years ago who bred Malinois and Tervuren's and I have worked with a vet who did search and rescue with them. They are definitely NOT for everyone, for sure!!!

Puppies will go to their new homes around 8 weeks of age, that's correct. There are 4 females and 2 males with one of the females weighing the most right now...although that can change, of course.

Glad you liked the pictures; I thought you might. I'll try and take more as time permits and will share them with you. Take care, Deb

Hi Deb…How are you? How is Malina and all the pups?I’ve been doing a little reading on the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog…I’m really attracted to the breed. I’m going back and forth on my thought process….I take Amy most places with me which is fun…when having two dogs they would have each other; I tend to leave them home together more often. Then again it would be wonderful for Amy to have a sister etc….I’m still indecisive.Amy is due for some of her shots soon. Remember several years ago you and my Vet at the time stated bordetella is not necessary unless you board them a lot…and there are indications of some long term effects. If Amy developed bordetella, it would be just like a cold and will go away easily. Amy is now 6 years old and a new Vet Dr in Tahoe stated to be careful; when dogs get older the bordetella can develop into pneumonia. Do you agree with this? Do you think it is time to give the bordetella shot?Thank You…talk soon,
John.
My sister asked if a dog can catch bordetella by walking through Petco or home depot or do they have to be in confined quarters?

Hi John,

Thanks for checking in. What a difference a day makes!! We're all doing ok (although I'm a little sleep deprived) but Malina developed a yellow nasal discharge yesterday which indicates an upper respiratory infection. Of course, the puppies started to sound a little congested today although they're all still eating and active. I've started antibiotics on them all and am hoping that this is just a minor bump in the road.

I completely understand about adding another dog to your family; there are definitely pros and cons to each side of the argument. I might suggest that you try and meet a Swissy in person which may help. I have two suggestions:

1. Visit a local breeder. My friend can possibly provide names of reputable ones who might be near you if you provide the city where you live (since CA is a pretty big state) in addition to Lake Tahoe. I understand if you don't feel comfortable doing this.

2. Attend a dog show similar to Westminster where you can watch the dogs and meet them although I'll warn you that some show people are a tad on the snotty side. The following link lists various dog shows for Swissies which is provided if you want to enter a dog show but for your purposes, it will provide the date and city. The way dog shows are set up (if you don't know) is that the specific time and ring # isn't provided to the entrants until a week or so prior to the event. It may get a little tricky trying to find this information but if you select a show, I can tell you when and where the swissies are going to be in the ring...if this makes sense at all:)

http://infodog.com/show/panels_by_group_results.htm?bn=35500&sdt=04/11/18&edt=05/10/18

As to Bordetella, it's not been my experience that dogs who contract this condition may be at a higher risk for developing pneumonia but I suppose it's possible. This is a fairly innocuous vaccine as vaccines go so if there's a higher incidence of this condition in that area, then it probably wouldn't hurt to give it to her.

As to your sister's question, while this condition is usually transmitted between dogs (such as in a boarding or day care situation), we can bring home pathogens on our clothes or shoes which can then infect our dogs. In other words, there doesn't have to be direct contact between dogs for this condition to develop so walking through Petco, Home Depot or just about anywhere might be a risk (although not a hugely high one).

Deb

PS: New puppy pictures to be posted once I've had a chance to download them.

Hope you enjoy the new photos:)

e4b27b69-3868-46af-b805-...JPGe4b27b6...JPG933005dd-3147-4900-bcfd-...JPG933005d...JPG1dc7b9c1-8f7b-490c-a270-...JPG1dc7b9c...JPGbedd8943-da35-4ae4-aa5c-...JPGbedd894...JPG
Hi Deb,
The pictures are all Wonderful…the two pups sleeping side by side is priceless. Each picture is special and tells a story. The pups all sleep close to each other or spread out independently.I’m assuming Malina yellow nasal discharge is either gone or nearly gone ….has the puppies little congestion passed? ...has the minor bump in the road passed?I just so happened to run into a Swiss Mountain female dog at a coffee shop outdoor patio in South Lake Tahoe…so I got to actually touch one and talk to the couple who just loves the breed. The interaction between Amy was friendly and they had a great camaraderie. Amy being only 45 pounds compared to 120 pounds was interesting. The couple stated they have a dominant temperament and it takes time and patience to learn their place in the family social hierarchy. I have good chemistry with the Swiss…I believe it would be a Swiss if I decide to bring another dog into the home. I’m still very much not sure which direction to go...either Amy and I go it alone or bring in another family member….it would be logically decided in next week.I learned that cesarean sections are common with the Swiss Breed.My last three Belgium Breeders were across the country and I flew out there to visit. One pup flew with me in a small carry cage on the airplane at 7 weeks old. If I decide to move forward; I’m very comfortable contacting your Friend Breeder.Thank You for the Pictures…Talk Next Time.

John,

Glad you enjoyed the pictures; not quite as good as the real thing but a close second:)

Yes, the puppies tend to either group together for warmth or spread out if the room is too warm for them. I try to keep the ambient temperature constant and I have a heat source that they can move away from but the weather here in New England has been so erratic that it's been a challenge. But, in that one picture I sent, it's them after having nursed quite vigorously so it's "food-induced" coma similar to a pig-out after Thanksgiving dinner:)

Malina's discharge appears significantly improved this morning but since it's only been about 48 hours of antibiotics, I wouldn't have been surprised if it weren't. The babies are a little "snotty" but it's not keeping them from eating like little piranhas every time they nurse:)

That's great that you and Amy already met a swissie and have spoken with the couple who have her. Swissy owners do tend to be particularly passionate about the breed but perhaps this is true for all owners with pure bred dogs. Personally, I don't think size always matters when it comes to interactions between dogs so that Amy being the smaller in size wouldn't necessarily dictate her behavior towards one dog. It's all about the "attitude" in my opinion:)

I’m still very much not sure which direction to go.. I completely understand but it has to feel right for you both. I'm confident that you'll figure it out:)

If I decide to move forward; I’m very comfortable contacting your Friend Breeder. My friend would be more than happy to help you as would I; she's just more plugged into the swissy breeder world than I am. And, just in the interest of clarification and without putting you on the spot in any way, if you do decide to add a swissy to your and Amy's life, are you interested in one of Malina's babies? It's perfectly fine if you're not and would prefer to find a breeder closer to home but if you are, you don't need to contact my friend. This is a decision that I would make...and I would be delighted to place a puppy with an individual who is as committed to the animals in their care as you obviously are.

I don't want this question to introduce any awkwardness between us but I just want to be on the same page... and this is in no way intended to introduce any pressure about a decision either. My friend and I won't be making decisions about puppy homes for a few more weeks, at least.

Chat soon, Deb

Hi Deb…This will be really short…I’m on my way out the door…you are not putting me on the spot…I was Hoping you would Consider me in having one of your pups. Thank You…Your words made my day!
Talk Soon,

John,

You'd be top of the list if this is the decision you decide to make:) Take care and chat soon, Deb

Hi John,

Thought I'd share the most recent pictures of the babies. Their eyes are open although they can't see all that well just yet. And, they're walking around but still a little wobbly. They're starting to play with each other and me which is always a fun time:)

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AmsOzrPSMmbvgyQILmzxdpeCpV_J

Chat soon, Deb

Good Morning Deb,
I had to take a detour as a result of my Mother falling and breaking her hip….she is doing well after the operation and started to walk with a walker, 3-days after the operation….she is expected to fully recovery.How is Malina doing and all the puppies? Each and Every Picture is Priceless…so heartfelt! How is Malina Camaraderie with her puppies?I would not be a good dog breeder…I would have to keep them all.I believe the puppies are about 24 days old...when are they available to travel to their new homes? How many Females are still available????Amy was about 7 weeks old and was transported on an airplane with a carrying case in the passenger section. I would not want to risk the pup to be in the Cargo Section. I would personally fly out to bring the pup home. I will be making a decision in the next few days.Thank-You and REALLY APPRECIATE and ENJOYED the pictures. .
John…Talk Soon.

Hi John,

Good to hear from you although I'm really sorry about your mom. But, it sounds as if she's made out of strong stuff if she's already up and about; I hope that she continues to do well.

Malina is still being a good mom but doesn't stay with the puppies nearly as long as she used to. Which is fine since they don't really need her as much. Yesterday, I started transitioning them to puppy mush (which is puppy food soaked in water for 30 minutes and then blenderized) and they're liking it. I'll continue to let Malina nurse them but hope to have them on puppy food alone before too long.

The pups will be four weeks old on Friday which is hard to believe that so much time has passed since the c-section! I plan to let them go to their new homes in a month, when they're 8 weeks old which is pretty standard around here. They'll have been vaccinated, wormed and microchipped.

My friend and I will be discussing puppy applications this weekend when she comes to visit but as of right now, none of the females (or males) are committed to anyone.

Although I've never shipped a puppy out of the area, I certainly know breeders who do; regardless, I would never put them in cargo so I approve of your plan if you decide you want Amy to have a sister. I don't know if air travel regulations have changed but it's certainly easy enough to find out.

Thanks for staying in touch; will send more pics when I have time. Deb

Hello Deb, I hope All is Extremely Well. How is Malina’s and all her puppies doing? I’ve been involved in some family matters etc…today I’m home and talking to Amy regarding getting a New Dog. I’m moving towards a YES in purchasing one of Malina’s Female Pups. I will 100% commit either this evening or tomorrow morning. After confirming; how does the process begin?I’m trying to pay/tip you for the last thread of questions, but I noticed this session is closed. Can I open a new session per our previous discussions with a small opening and a large tip?Thank You as Always….Talk Soon,

John,

Glad to hear back from you. I can just imagine the conversation between you and Amy:)

If you both decide that you'd like a new member of the family, it might be easier to discuss logistics or any questions you might have on the phone. My # is(###) ###-#### my email is***@******.***

I live in Townsend, MA 01474 which is just slightly south of the NH border and about mid-State.

The puppies and Malina are doing great. Several friends stopped by on Saturday to visit with them and they were a huge hit. These are a few pictures of them that my friend took if I i can manage to send them correctly.

But, if not, this link is pics of them one week ago: https://1drv.ms/a/s!AmsOzrPSMmbvgzPRFsfq3uoKvHBC

And, don't worry about any additional payment since we've mostly been discussing puppy stuff.

I look forward to hearing back from you one way or the other. Deb

John,

I realized I typed the wrong phone #; this is the correct one : It's(###) ###-#### Deb

Hi Deb, Oh My Gosh!…the Pictures/Pups are Wonderful…what are they thinking…I see the Pups have a few smiling/happy girls as friends.
Thank You for the Pictures…Talk to you soon,

John,

I see that you did go ahead an open a new question to which I have responded. We can continue to communicate there if it's easier. Deb

Hi Deb,
I hope all is well with You and Malina/Pups. My mother had a Stroke so I have been with the family around the clock. I will tell you more details later. As a result of this family ordeal…I will have to hold off on taking a pup for the moment and I understand they must find their new home soon. If you find a home for all of the pups before I’m out of this situation; it was meant to be and it’s alright.
Thank You Deb as Always....I hope to talk soon.

John,

I'm so terribly sorry about your mom; I can just imagine how distressing this is for you and your family.

I absolutely understand about the timing for a new pup and you need to do what you feel is best for you and Amy; however, I can be flexible and hold a pup for a few weeks beyond June 1st if you think that's something that will help. At this point, I still have two girls to place.

Please stay in touch and best to your mom.

As always, Deb

John,

I'm not sure if you're checking messages from the site but I just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going with your mom. Good, I hope.

As things currently stand, I still have two female puppies available. I agree that if it's meant to happen, it will but I just wanted to keep you updated.

Continued best wishes that your mom recovers. Deb