Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog threw up twice earlier now sounds like she is

Customer Question
continually trying to hack up...
My dog threw up twice earlier now sounds like she is continually trying to hack up a hair ball
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
She hasn’t thrown up since .. the vomit didn’t look abnormal .. she also will not let me touch her

Hi again,

Won't let you touch her like she is painful or like she is hiding away?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
She tries to bite me if I get too close which then initiates more hacking

Oh dear,

That is a worry as it suggests that she may be painful here. So, on top of our being worried about bacterial, viral or parasitic infections; we have to also consider this may be due to a pancreatitis, stomach ulcer, or ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, if you think Cocoa has eaten something harmful, we want her seen now. Else we are going to need to let her settle down with a view to starting home supportive care once she will let you handle her (else she needs to see her vet for injectable anti-nausea medication). That said, in regards ***** ***** options, you can try treating with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Alternatively, to soothe her stomach but also her throat (likely inflamed given her hacking), we can use a liquid option (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.25tsp every 12 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due that's a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, we can try her with small meals of a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Plus it will be easy on her throat which sounds inflamed. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, Cocoa's signs do raise a few concerns here. If you feel she looks painful there, we'd want her seen now. Otherwise, let her settle for the moment then we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you ..she hasn’t thrown up since ..but still hacking .. could it be kennel cough?

You are very welcome,

Usually with kennel cough they will hack but we don't see vomiting (save for coughing up a bit of phlegm). So, if she actually brought up material its less likely (and the hacking is from throat inflammation). But if it was foam/froth then that too would be a consideration. So, we'd want to monitor her and we could use the liquid antacid to cover both bases since it will reduce nausea and also coat her throat.

Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterwards, as I am dedicating my weekends/evenings to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian