Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a slight swollen stomach last week and we were…

Customer Question
My dog had a...

My dog had a slight swollen stomach last week and we were told by his vet that he had some fluid built up. He got the fluid drained couple of days ago and seems to be doing better. However, I noticed that he has been leaking a bit . Is that normal after the procedure? Also what would be my next best steps to be able to identify the root cause?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he’s about 6 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Oreo?

6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oreo?

So last week he chewed on some carpet and had an upset tummy. He didn’t eat for a couple of days and was a bit lethargic before we noticed the swollen belly.he doesn’t have any other health issues.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you mean he is leaking fluid from where they drained his abdomen?

What tests have they done so far?

What did the fluid look like?

Is he on any treatment yet?

leaking was from where they had drained but that has reduced drastically today. They took a sample of the fluid and did a in house analysis. They confirmed the fluid wasn’t blood or cloudy from bacteria contamination. My dog had eaten a piece of the rug last week before he fell unwell. He ate a bit this morning and is drinking a lot of water. The vet recommended getting an ultra sound, x ray and doing further urine and fluid analysis. But did not guarantee that they could find the root cause. I wanted to know what the best next steps would be and also what are the common scenarios stomach swelling would happen. Oreo is doing much better today but just resting. Would this resolve by itself?

Hello again,

Now I have to say that is quite uncommon. Usually we do use quite a small needle when draining the abdomen and rarely get much leakage in the hours following as opposed to days later. Therefore, we do need to tread with care here (especially as leakage out can also mean a risk of bacteria getting into the body cavity). Its good it has reduced today, but I'd advise salt water bathing the area and putting a bandage over it. If we can get a wee bit of pressure on that (though it may mean wrapping a bandage around the body to do so), that would be ideal to just encourage this to close/heal.

Otherwise, with regards ***** ***** in this situation, I would say that ultrasound is the place to start. Especially if there has been time between draining Oreo's abdomen (not the stomach directly) and diagnostics. This is because if there is fluid still present in the abdomen and we xray it will block what we can see but with ultrasound it can see through the fluid. And that way we can get a check of his internal organs and determine if there is a tumor. At the same time, it would be ideal for the vet to take a fluid sample for analysis if they only checked it in house. This is because while its good blood and bacterial infection have been ruled out, we do have a number of causes for clear fluid in the dog. Specifically it can be a feature of low blood proteins (if he has had severe diarrhea or is losing protein in urine), liver, kidney or heart disease. It is also possible (though hopefully less likely at Oreo's age) to see this kind of fluid with tumors. But again we'd hope that with the scan we'd be ruling that one out (which again ultrasound is ideal since it can pick up both discreet masses and those diffuse in organs). Depending on their findings of these, this may give us our answer or it may direct us in what we need to do next. If the results suggest a problem with organ function (ie liver/kidney) then bloods +/- urine tests may be the step to follow. But if his heart may be to blame, his vet can scan that as well (possibly at the same time). And usually at that point, we will know which agent is to blame and can start treatment for it and by doing so reduce him building up the fluid in the first place.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**